TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
amo1486

Default Jeep Cherokee as tow vehicle?

I don't own a TM (at least not yet); one of my major concerns is my tow vehicle, the 190 hp Cherokee.

I currently tow a 19 foot 1993 Viking Northwind, which is a "kind of" popup trailer, where the entire roof raises up about 15" using a cloth panel between the trailer body and the roof. But even in the down position, the trailer roof is still higher than the roof of my Cherokee. So I get some of the reduced towing height and lower center of gravity of a TM or HI-LO. Viking no longer sells a unit like this.

We used to have a Coleman popup, but I really hated the necessity to fully open the trailer to load or unload. And closing the trailer really required two people to ensure that the fabric was properly tucked in.

Anyway, I am not willing to purchase a larger tow vehicle simply to tow a camper 3-4 times a year. Conversely, I'm not willing to purchase a new, or near-new TM given the number of times it will be used.

So I'm looking for an older, smalller TM. There is one on eBay right now that I think I can tow, a 1990 model 23. This is the size I have in mind.

While I THINK that this size TM is within the capacity of my tow vehicle, I would like some feedback. I haven't seen any Cherokees listed as Tow Vehicles; the nearest I have found is the recent post on the Jeep Liberty.

I live in Ohio and practically all of my camping will be east of the Mississippi (although I will be in Denver for a car show next July).

Tom
1991 Jeep Comanche

1948 Nash 600 coupe
1967 Rambler Rogue convertible