TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Walter Roach

Default Steak, Chicken Fajitas

Steak, Chicken Fajitas
Menu Items:
Guacamole, salsa
Taco chips
Rice pilaff, small box (cooked in 3 qt. sauce pan on 2nd burner)
Black beans, canned (heated in 1 qt. sauce pan on 3rd burner)
Cooked tri-tip in bag (heated in hot water on 1st burner)
Grilled chicken breast (cooked with small electric George Foreman grill)
Flour torillas, small (warmed in teflon skillet on 1st burner)
Yellow Bell Pepper strips, (sauteed in 2nd skillet after beans heated)

We used every pan and skillet we had brought; however, the meal was delicious. We were done from start-to-finish in 20 minutes with 2 of us helping. I sliced the chicken and beef across-the-grain into slices. The left-overs the next day were welcome and appreciated.

Walter and Debbie Roach
San Jose, CA
2005 TrailManor 2720SL
2006 Saturn Vue V6
Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Sounds YUMMY!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Shrimp Fajitas & Spanish Rice

We have been making this recipe for a long time; it's quick & easy & tastes great:

1 lb shrimp
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves of garlic, shredded
1/4 cup lime juice
a red or green bell pepper (one large should do) cut into small, slim pieces
little bit of cooking oil
one onion sliced thinly
1/2 cup plain yogurt
green salsa

5 or 6 flour tortillas (wrap them in foil and put them in the oven to warm)

Put the shrimp, cilantro, garlic & lime juice into a bowl and marinate for a while.

Cook the bell peppers & onion in the cooking oil until sort of done, remove them from the pan, put the shrimp mixture into the pan, agitate the pan until the shrimp are cooked. Put the vegetables back in, and warm.

Serve the shrimp/vegetable mixture in the tortillas, top with the yogurt and green salsa.

I guess we kind of cheat as to the pans, because we make the spanish rice at home and bring it with us in a zip lock bag, so all we need to do is heat it up.

Here is my spanish rice recipe (this also freezes well):

1 cup long grain rice
2 TB chopped green onion
2 TB chopped tomato
tamate bullion (found in the hispanic food section)
clove of garlic, shredded (I always shred my garlic with a small shredder, I gave up on other techniques)
bit of cooking oil

Put the rice in a pan with the garlic and the cooking oil, on medium high heat. If you like your rice moist, don't sautee it too long. If you like it dry, sautee it for longer, until the rice and garlic is well browned (but not too brown). Either way, you have to sautee it for at least 4 or 5 minutes, keep stirring. It's got to cook for a while to get some color, develop a good flavor and not be mushy.

When it's sauteed to your liking, add 2 cups of water, the chopped green onions and tomato, and add 2 teaspoons or so of "tamate" bullion, it's like chicken bullion with tomato flavoring, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a very low temp, and cook for 20 minutes.

I now bring 5 pans, two frying pans and 3 regular pans; even though we only have 3 burners; sometimes we need all of them when we're having company! It's even more fun when you don't have hookups!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Walter Roach

Default Good Food Isn't Cheating, even if made ahead

Good food, whether cooked ahead or prepared 'a la minute' sure beats the beans and franks my scout master preferred. Next time we plan to have foil along; our very first maiden voyage was this last weekend. Simplifying pans is a great goal, since washing them takes up valuable R & R minutes. Thanks!

Walter & Debbie
Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Walter Roach

Default Always learning!

We did take along a George Foreman Grill (the two-portion little one), but did not remember the extension cord for outside. We may choose to trade out for a griddle or other appliance. We had a great meal on our maiden voyage dinner, and served 6 people. We made up a list of things that would have helped. Next outing will even be better! We are going with the same family to Sunset Beach on Veteran's Day weekend. We'll keep track of menu suggestions for then.
Thanks!

Walter and Debbie