TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
efelker

Default Adult S'Mores

Saw this recipe on another website, and just couldn't help thinking about RockyMtnRay's decadent dining:

I ran accross a new S'mores recipe in a camping magazine recently. This recipe calls for soaking the marshmallows in 1/2 cup of amaretto, cognac or Grand Marnier for 10 seconds. Then toast marshmallows over fire. Place a few squares of flavored dark chocolate (orange, raspberry, etc) and put between graham crackers.

Now, there might just be a bit of a problem executing this culinary task. How might you prevent the booze soaked marshmallow from turning into napalm? I would imagine doing these in the oven would be far less dramatic than having an alcohol fueled marshmallow torch. They really sound good -- so I'll turn this over to you "Martha Stewart" types (exclusive of investing strategies), how might I do these and still retain my eyebrows?

Ed
Old 10-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Adult S'Mores

Quote:
RockyMtnRay's decadent dining
heehee....I like the way you put that!

Quote:
I would imagine doing these in the oven would be far less dramatic than having an alcohol fueled marshmallow torch.
Can't help but agree...hot booze (even the 40 proof liqeurs/brandies) burns quite nicely (was reminded of that when I made Cherries Jubillee on my last camping trip (see above under "decadent dining" ). Add in the corn syrup/gelatin/sugar of a marshmallow and you would indeed have little torches.

Quote:
how might I do these and still retain my eyebrows?
You need to get a "Rolla Roaster". They extend from 12 inches to 42 inches and have a little wheel on the base to roll the prongs. Worked great for marshmallows on my last camping trip.

Available at camping world: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...H&tcode=37
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Adult S'Mores

If the "soak" is only 10 seconds, then nothing really soaks into the marshmallows. My guess is that the alcohol on the outside does, indeed, flame, and it's showy. It would also put a nice crunchy layer on the outside of the marshmallow. With a flavored liquer like amaretto or Grand Marnier, it would also put an interesting flavor in the crunchy layer. Gotta try this idea!

And it is a good recipe for even a teetotaler - there is certainly no alcohol left in the final product.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

Tried these at the Appalacian Chapter Fall Rally. We used orange flavored dark chocolate and soaked the mallows in amaretto. Contrary to prediction, the mallows don't torch unless held to closely to the heat. We did have one or two torch--for just that reason. The flavor, regardless of torching, was excellent--I tried some either way. This is denifintely worth the extra 10 seconds (and longer forks) for an adult dessert.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
And it is a good recipe for even a teetotaler - there is certainly no alcohol left in the final product.
Yeah, but some of us consider that to be a DIS-advantage. I always re-spike the Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee, at least a little bit, after they've been flamed and cooled off with iced cream/milk/yogurt.

I ONLY drink because it helps my heart and arteries...
Now, what did I just do with that plastic tumbler full of Chateau Y'Quem ??
Miserable stuff, I wouldn't go near it if I didn't have too.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rickst29 -

I laughed until my martini came out of my nose! Thanks

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote