TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Mary Turk-Delger

Default Is my vehicle ok to tow a 3023?

We are just about to purchase a 3023 and I own a 2005 Honda Odyssey van. A dealer in CA said it would work just fine. The towing capacity on the van is 3500 lbs. which meets the requirements however I am a bit nervous for I live in the west with of course many mountainous areas. Does anyone out there pull their 3023 with a van?

Is length of the trailer a concern with the type of vehicle in which you pull it?
Hoping to join all of you soon with many great memories!

Mary
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #2

Default 2005 Honda Odyssey

If 3500 pounds is your maximum towing weight the Honda would not be just fine. It would be, at best, marginal. Forget going into the mountains unless you like driving really slow and loading your engine. Check the empty weight of the TM then add the air condtioner, awning, etc. Now add anything else you might put in the TM and you're past the limit. If you check, the Honda is probably rated at 3500 lbs towing if it (the Honda) is only carrying two people and nothing else.
Sorry, but I think you will damage your vehicle if you try to tow this TM very far.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mary -

You need to do a LOT of reading in this Towing Rigs Forum. There is a lot of discussion that is relevant to your question, and I think you are going to be disappointed with most of what you read. What you suggest is not a particularly good combination, especially if you will tow anyplace other than the flat-flat-flatlands. You also need to consider such things as whether you have a factory-installed towing package - I'm guessing not. But it is important that you understand the issues, rather than seeking a quick but oversimplified yes/no answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Debian Dog

I would say it is a "BAD PLAN" and you will be over loaded. My minivan tows the same weight and we "wanted" a bigger TM but... 3500# is the LIMIT.

Regardless of what you tow you will need the Honda towing package installed (if not already or so I am told)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

If you haven't checked out http://www.odyclub.com you may find more info there. Search on "TrailManor". We pulled our 2619 with an 02 Ody for approx 20,000 miles and had no problems but I won't elaborate here. As Bill said, it's available with a search.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
skcerny

We tow a 2005 3023 with a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with factory tow package with a Equalizer WDH. We live in Michigan and haven't had any problems pulling the TM on flat land. Last summer, we put the combo to the test and did a 2,600 mile trek to the outer banks of N. Carolina and then over to Cherokee, North Carolina in the Smoky MOuntains. We had no problems pulling the TM and maintained 45 mph going up 6% hills. We had one instance where we had to go down a 9% grade for 2 miles that we needed to stop and let the brakes cool. While the Dodge pulled everything OK, we were definately maxing out. We're going to do a similar trek this year and I am probably going to look at a new TV just to be safe.

Good luck!

Steve
1 wife
2 kids
2 greyhounds