TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Senorsedona

Angry Marathon tires by Goodyear

Well I was going to replace the Marathon tires when I had the extra money. I've had problems with them on 4 different Rv's before. Nothing but problems.
Well I made a quick trip into California, from Sedona AZ. and low and behold tire seperations. This is not new with them. I've had them bubble with 1500 miles and 2 months old. Most cases the Goodyear dealer did not stand behind the tire. Besides who cares? I don't want to be changing a tire beside the road, sweating like a hog and cars whizzing by. I bought Big O's trailer tire I hope I have better luck with them. Has anyone found a really good 14" tire?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default I'm super happy with the Marathons on my TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorsedona
Has anyone found a really good 14" tire?
My vote still goes for the Goodyear Marathon. Three towing seasons on mine (about 10,000 miles total) and zero problems of any kind. None, nada, despite being loaded to within about 150 lbs of their rated capacity on every trip.

I will say, however, that nearly all of my towing has been done in cool to moderate temperatures (45 to 75 degrees) and I've only towed a few hundred miles when the temperatures were even in the 90s and never over 96. I also store my TM inside my garage so the tires are only exposed to UV and weathering when I'm actually traveling/camping. During the 6 months of winter storage, I also jack up the trailer so the tires have almost no weight on them...there's no sidewall bulge at all at the bottom all winter.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Move subject to appropriate category

Shouldn't we be using the new forum categories. This should go under Trailmanor Technical Discussions- Tires, Tires, Tires.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Senor S. -

Ray menitoned high pavement temperatures and overloading. In addition, over-speed (common in the wide-open west) and underinflation (common everywhere) are killers. I think the Marathon tires are rated for 65 mph max, and require you to maintain very close to 50 psi pressure (i.e., 45 psi will not do!). On your trips, were you tempted to deviate from either?

Bob, re topics. You are right. As soon as the last few moderator tools and the last of the sub-forums are put in place, we will start moving things - and harassing people!!! ;-)

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote