TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
Nate55

Default How to add an aux battery 1993

I purchased a used 1993 Trailmanor 2619. There is no wiring that I can see to run off of an external battery. The manual says that you can though. How? I can’t seem to find the converter either.
Nate55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate55 View Post
There is no wiring that I can see to run off of an external battery.
Nate -

When you say "run off of an external battery", I'm not sure if you want to disconnect the internal battery, and connect the TM to a separate outside battery? Or if you are looking to add a second battery inside the TM, to work with and augment the existing battery.

If you want to substitute an external battery for the internal one, you must disconnect the internal battery entirely, and extend all the wires far enough to reach to the external battery. Make the same connections there that you removed from the internal battery.

If you want to add a second battery to augment the existing one, you must first find place to mount the new battery, and then connect the new one to the old one as shown in this figure.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...&pictureid=451

Note that since the existing battery is a 12-volt unit, the new one must also be a 12-volt unit, so you would use the 12-volt half of the figure. It is desirable that the new battery be the same physical size designator as the old one (probably a Group 24), and that it be of similar age. The connecting new wires should be at least #10 -preferably a bit bigger like #8.

Although I don't have a copy of your owner's manual, I am unaware that TM ever included wires that would enable addition of a second battery.

Quote:
I can’t seem to find the converter either.
The converter is mounted in the wall near the floor in the hallway outside the bathroom.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Nate55

Bill - Thank you for your reply! Im not loking to substitute a battery. I just want one battery so that I can turn the lights on inside without a generator. I didn’t see an included internal battery at all? Where would the internal battery be mounted and how do you run the lights and such off of it?
Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default In a 2619, they're normally on the front tongue (outside).

Unlike the "larger" models 2720 and upwards, there is no battery storage compartment within the body of newer 2619 Trailers.

Your 1993 might be different than my 2619, but there should be a BLACK wire which leads to the front A-frame. That wire is for connecting the battery "12v +" terminal, through a fuse. There should also be a white wire, built right into the A-frame, which is used for the battery "-" terminal.

You'll need both a battery box and battery. You will also need a 30A fuse or circuit breaker, placed into the top of the battery box, for safety reasons. That fuse goes between the black wire end and the battery terminal.

Most 2619s use two "group-24" batteries in parallel, with their boxes mounted behind the propane tanks.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Nate55

Default No black wire to the front

Thank you rickst29! I didnt see a black wire running to the front for a battery. I dont think there is one. I thought maybe if I can find the convertor, i could hook up to it and run a wire to the front to add a battery. Of course with an in line circuit breaker. Then take the negative side of the battery to the frame. Maybe?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Yes.

You can pull from a 30A fused connector within the "12V" section of the converter and follow the existing bundle (from the Convert to behind the fridge, then down and out). You can zip-tie to existing cable or wire along the frame, or you can put into a thin conduit, clamped underneath the trailer floor.

For the white wire, you can anchor a screw-in terminal, using a newly drilled hole in the side of the frame. All the "12v" grounding wires are attached to the frame (directly and indirectly), and the frame itself is the best way to reach the battery box up front.