TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Onyrlef

Default Thetford recirc. toilet question

Had blowout yesterday and broke off the 3" bayonet connection and the 1 1/2" gray water valve. On opening up and inspecting to make sure there were no damages to the interior walls, I noticed the toilet has a small amount of play, side to side and forward to backwards, maybe 1 /4-1/2". Otherwise it is securely attached ( I can't lift it any at all) . Should there be no play at all or is this normal, I hate to pull it up for no reason? The 3" ABS below the unit is undamaged except for the parts noted above but it was apparently whacked pretty hard. Thanks John
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
Onyrlef

So after posting I found Bill's tutorial on removing the Thetford. He's pretty emphatic that if it rocks it will leak. I guess that answers that anyway.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
So after posting I found Bill's tutorial on removing the Thetford. He's pretty emphatic that if it rocks it will leak. I guess that answers that anyway.
Seconded. If you can move it, you will (eventually) leak.

It seems intimidating to remove, but it's really not bad after the first time. Just take your time, go step by step, and have help (someone to sit on it can sometimes help remove/install the brackets easier).
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
Onyrlef

I got as far as the wedges, they're still tight and apparently they are what secure the toilet to the gasket over the closet flange. Tapped them a bit to insure they hadn't backed off any. Reinstalled the actuator for the pump, filled the reservoir, flushed and dumped a couple of cycles and no leaks. So hopefully I'm good. The toilet is not rigid, but has a tiny bit of play from the top, so I'm thinking this is to be expected since the attachment point to the closet flange is what secures it to the floor. It has no movement at the bottom however. The new Valterra Bladex valve just arrived,(after I got a 2nd mortgage for two day delivery from etrailer), so I'm on the road again here very shortly.