TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #21
Kettlebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peds109 View Post
Looking for a 2619 or 2720QB before the 2020 camping season. It needs to have 3 dedicated sleeping areas (bed at each end plus convertible dining table is ideal. 3000lbs or less dry weight is desired. Price is flexible depending on year and condition. Located in central CT and willing to drive 3ish hours or roughly 200miles.
I’ll be a cheerleader here. You can pack on the light side and enjoy yourselves in a TM under your tow rating! Our UVW is 2911. I catalogued and weighed all our camping gear that goes in our car and trailer, plus some trailer items I don’t think were in the UVW, as well as the WDH, battery and accounting for propane and water in the water heater (we don’t drive with fresh or gray water). Adding 10 lbs for ice in the prechilled cooler and 10 lbs for food, and giving each person a 14 lb personal packing allowance (a few changes of clothing and entertainment), it all totals 532 lbs. And that’s packing pretty heavy, bringing both winter gear and swim gear; we can probably cut 100 lbs and still be fully prepared for temperature swings and emergencies but have a somewhat less comfortable/convenient trip. So, you can do it.
Kettlebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #22
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I was chatting with a buddy of mine who is a mechanic about the Honda Ridgeline. Of course, you want to stay within the towing weight limits. However, sometimes the recommendations, such as a weight distributing hitch, are a "cover the butts" recommendations. A WDH will change the dynamics of the truck and trailer system and will affect the functions load levelling, brake proportioning valves, ABS, antisway, and others. If an owner were to adjust the WDH incorrectly, it would affect these systems in an adverse way and could cause an accident. Of course, Honda doesn't want anyone to try to sue them if, for instance, the ABS kicked in, reduced the stopping power and caused an accident, if the situation arose because the owner had too much tension on the WDH.

I cannot say for sure what Honda's technical reasoning is for this, and of course, I'm not trying to say whether you should or should not use a WDH. All I know is that people have towed Trailmanors with a Ridgeline, and used a WDH as well.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #23
Pater C

I have a 2017 Rtle Ridgeline. I live in Louisiana, but the truck and trailer have had no issues going up our steep bridges. There is also this video which I watched from a Truck review channel who towed up to the Maximus in Colorado. This helped me with my decision.
https://youtu.be/ohnL47A03dA

2017 Honda Ridgeline
2001 2720SL
Pater C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #24
Marbet

Peds109, I have towed a TM 09 2720 a number of years with an 07 Ridgeline and now a 19 Ridgeline RTLe without a WDH and no problems over the Rocky Mountains and elsewhere. I do carefully watch loaded weight, tires, etc. I avoid hauling water on most trips. Hope that encourages you. It can be done safely.