TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default 7,000 Mile Trip - Bike Rack

My GF and I never go camping without our bike. We both enjoy road bikes but those aren't the best around campgrounds. We solved tha problem by finding some used "Hybrid" bikes that have 700C wheels. ( the same size that road bikes use. With the factory wheels in place we have fat tire campground and trail bikes. When we want to ride on paved roads we remove the fat tire wheels and install road wheels from our high tech lightweight bikes. Not as good as having dedicated bikes for each type of riding but a good compromise. The extra wheels store in the TV and only weigh a couple of pounds.

The bike rack is a Thule rack that uses a 2" receiver. After some research, I decided that the 2" square tube between the rear frame horns was plenty strong enough. I bought a bolt on receiver from Harbor Freight. This uses 1/2" bolts to be bolted through vertically. I prefer bolting in two directions, so I welded a piece of 1-1/2" angle iron to the HF receiver. If you don't have welding abilities, you could bolt the angle iron on with several bolts. After removing the fiberglass cover from the rear bumper, I was able to bolt the receiver on with two 1/2" bolts and two 3/8" bolts. I then cut out the fiberglass bumper cover in the way of the hitch and reinstalled it.

I had seen opinions on the forum that the rear bumper wasn't strong enough to support bikes, so I decided to test it. I put a 6' metal pipe in the receiver and sat on the end of it to see if the rear bumper flexed. It did, about 1-1/2" at the end of the 6' pipe. That translates to about 1/4" at the receiver. No big deal.

To aid the rack in keeping the bikes in place without bouncing, I drilled two 5/16" holes in the back side of the rear shell, about 18" away from the edge of the stone guar. I installed a Stainless 5/16" eyebolt in each hole with fender washers and nuts on each side to keep from compressing the foam sandwich. These are drilled and mounted where the rear shell turns into a radius for the rear roof. This is the most rigid part of the shell and the fender washers and nuts are hidden behind the plastic molding in the interior. I use a ratchet strap to lightly tension the bikes and rack. Just enough to minimize the motion over bumpy roads.

7,000 miles of all types of road conditions and the setup has worked very well.

Paul
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhellings View Post
I use a ratchet strap to lightly tension the bikes and rack. Just enough to minimize the motion over bumpy roads.

Brilliant! I have a swing away receiver hitch bike rack for my TM, and used it back in the day when the kids bikes were brought on trips, and it included 2 adult bikes as well. Man, that thing could get bouncy sometimes.... Sounds like you probably solved that issue, or at the very least minimized it.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
FujiPedaler

Default 7000 mile Thule

Be aware that neither Thule nor Yakama warranty their bike racks for use on the back end of trailers or motorhomes.

I found that out after the Yakama rack failed at the weld and laid the rack backwards so the bikes were dragging along the pavement. My wife's bike needed two new wheels, pedals and toe clips and rear view mirror and a new rack.

Moral of the story, carefully and frequently inspect all the welds on the Thule.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default A good reason to add the strap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiPedaler View Post
Be aware that neither Thule nor Yakama warranty their bike racks for use on the back end of trailers or motorhomes.

I found that out after the Yakama rack failed at the weld and laid the rack backwards so the bikes were dragging along the pavement. My wife's bike needed two new wheels, pedals and toe clips and rear view mirror and a new rack.

Moral of the story, carefully and frequently inspect all the welds on the Thule.
Thanks for that info. It's another good reason to add the ratchet strap.

Paul
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
BubbaDad

Got any pics?
BubbaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Bike Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDad View Post
Got any pics?
I haven't been keeping up with the site. After returning from our trip and catching up on "Home" stuff, we had to start preparing for Hurricane Irma. Both my girlfriend, Patricia, and I own coastal properties. We have had our hands full. As we recover, I'll add some photos and finish my 7,000 mile trip project.
Paul