TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #31
Gwenne & Len

Padgett.......our tongue weight was about 450 lbs, no weight distribution hitch because Toyota discourages it's use on a unibody. We also were careful about putting our heaviest things over the axle inside the TM.
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #32
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenne & Len View Post
our tongue weight was about 450 lbs, no weight distribution hitch because Toyota discourages it's use on a unibody. We also were careful about putting our heaviest things over the axle inside the TM.
OK, now I'm concerned. I do put some weight distribution on with our Highlander Hybrid, plus bikes in the back and some heavy things in the back of the trailer (2720), and heavy things in the middle of the Highlander. Without that I can see the front wheels too high on the Highlander, and it feels a bit loosey goosey. With the weight distribution hitch it definitely feels more secure driving. I would suggest you do some measuring of wheel well height in the TV before and after hitching up.

Here's some research I did:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ing-hitch.html

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I can see the front wheels too high on the Highlander" as you can see in the .sig, I only have a slight rise with a 430ish tongue weight, was more before I put the two GC2s and all of the solar on the rear compartment. I get no sway at all.

Might help to know the lever ratio on the highlander. Have never seen it mentioned but seems critical to TV attitude when htched. It is the ratio between the wheelbase and the distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the hitch ball. Anything 3:1 or over is good, less has more of an effect. My front rise is less than an inch (more like 1/2").

ps just an observation but the first rule of the script kiddies at any corporate help desk is "CYA" and they are paid to keep you from anyone who actually knows. For example my heep is rated at 500/5000. But the same chassis and receiver assembly is rated at 740 lbs/7400 lbs with the Hemi and an eight speed. Also I am continually monitoring TV coolant, oil, and transmission temps because I am AR but so far towing the TM does not noticeably raise any temperatures. All GCs do have a 55 sq ft limit on trailer frontal area however the TM has only about the same FA as my Jeep so not an issue.

Bottom line is that there are A Lot of different considerations that must be made when considering a TV and tongue/gross weight is just be beginning. There are many different but simple factors that should be considered and I use a spreadsheet (but then do that for many things). My motto is "no surprises" and prefer to overdesign.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #34
Gwenne & Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
OK, now I'm concerned. I do put some weight distribution on with our Highlander Hybrid, plus bikes in the back and some heavy things in the back of the trailer (2720), and heavy things in the middle of the Highlander. Without that I can see the front wheels too high on the Highlander, and it feels a bit loosey goosey. With the weight distribution hitch it definitely feels more secure driving. I would suggest you do some measuring of wheel well height in the TV before and after hitching up.

Here's some research I did:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ing-hitch.html
We have never felt 'loosey goosey'......one time we felt like the nose of the Highlander was a bit high, and we moved more heavy things to the middle of the TM and that was solved. When we unhitch, our back end goes down 2 1/2 inches, and the front of the car goes up 1/4". We have never had sway, and are careful not to have weight behind the axle, cuz it causes instability, and the farther behind the axle, the more unstable it gets.

Our tongue weight/tow limit is 500/5000 lbs......we know we are pushing it. We were WAY overloaded for our 6 week trip.....but we did fine. Next time we'll have a lot less stuff, so we are probably ok. Hard to give up the good gas mileage of our Highlander......
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #35
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Glad to hear you have it figured out. I just realized a big difference on my TM is my batteries are on the tongue. 136 lbs.

We love our Highlander too!

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #36
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Highlander really looks like a good rig. Only change I would suggest is a little shorter hitch bar (or redrill yours).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highlander.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	15436  
Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #37
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Padgett,
Thanks for your help. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Our signature picture was pre-WDH. Picture #1

Pictures #2 3, & 4 are with the WDH we now use. I'm hoping in picture #2 I haven't tightened up the WDH, because the front end seems higher than usual to me.

I'm open to any suggestions you might have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	15451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00452.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	6.79 MB
ID:	15452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01759.JPG
Views:	37