TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #11
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Re:McKesh mirrors

I have also made my first trip with these mirrors. I do not know why I ever towed without them.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a lot of noise from the passenger-side strap when traveling above 50 mph. They are mounted on a Tundra.

The two sides seem to be mounted identically as far as where the support pad touches the door. The only difference I can see is that because of the direction that the roller takes up the strap, the noisy strap sits out further from the door up near the window than it does on the driver's side.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
Windbreaker

The straps are not secured to the roller. Just unroll it all the way and attach it the way you would like. This also has the advantage of allowing you to wash them should you have nothing better to do or take pride in your TV.

Also we have had a lot of rain in the past year and the TV gets dirty quickly. Before I mount the mirrors I always wash the areas where the pads will be, as suggested. That way the dirt or grime can't act like sandpaper and rub a spot raw.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #13
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Windbreaker link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg13328#msg13328 date=1083109828]
The straps are not secured to the roller. Just unroll it all the way and attach it the way you would like.
[/quote]
I have tried that. The crank turns in the counter clockwise direction, and that determines that the strap approaches the roller from the far side (away from the TV). The crank on the driver side turns in the same direction, and that strap approaches the roller from the near side.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have experienced the wind noise you refer to, though at one time or another I have gotten it on both sides. At one point, I got so frustrated that I wedged a damp sponge under the strap - which promptly blew away when we passed 50 mph. I have had some success by a) really tightening down on the strap crank, and b) moving the bottom-of-the-door hook an inch forward or aft. Since it is an aerodynamic thing, the proper position will depend on your specific tow vehicle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Bill link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg13331#msg13331 date=1083111723]
I have had some success by a) really tightening down on the strap crank, and b) moving the bottom-of-the-door hook an inch forward or aft.
[/quote]
I will experiment with your two suggestions, although I do not think that I can tighten up any more without breaking something or another. Thanks. Tim
Old 04-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #16
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=rtcassel link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg13330#msg13330 date=1083111264]
[quote author=Windbreaker link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg13328#msg13328 date=1083109828]
The straps are not secured to the roller. Just unroll it all the way and attach it the way you would like.
[/quote]
I have tried that. The crank turns in the counter clockwise direction, and that determines that the strap approaches the roller from the far side (away from the TV). The crank on the driver side turns in the same direction, and that strap approaches the roller from the near side.
[/quote]
Jared at Hensley/McKesh told me that the ratchet can be turned around. This puts the take-up on the passenger side nearer to the door. I will see if this makes any difference in the noise.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well I'll be darned! I never noticed that! He's right - takes less than two minutes to reverse it. Thanks for following up on this, RT.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:07 AM   #18
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

[quote author=rtcassel link=board=1;threadid=1784;start=msg13371#msg13371 date=1083268925]
Jared at Hensley/McKesh told me that the ratchet can be turned around. This puts the take-up on the passenger side nearer to the door. I will see if this makes any difference in the noise.
[/quote]
This tip solved the noise problem for us.