TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Default Possible (but expensive) Rear Bike Rack Solution

http://www.discountramps.com/single-...ailer/p/SW-46/

I saw something like this mounted on the back of a trailer recently. It was loaded with a motorcycle, but it got me to wondering if it wouldn't be possible to use the frame-mounted reciever at the back of my TM to tow bicycles using this.

I had been daydreaming about a solution something like this. The cost of the unit makes it impractical to buy (at least this year. There have been a lot of new purchases!) However, the theoretical possibility of this trailer is intriguing.

A wheel under the trailer absorbs the bumps and limits the abuse that the hitch sees, improving the likelihood that it can survive at the back of a trailer. A torsion axle, and the tire, limit the bouncing and jarring of the bicycles carried on the platform.

I know there are better solutions to carrying bicycles. However this one was novel... I thought I'd present it here as a fun exercise for the resident BSME's, mechanics, hobbyists, and wannabes to analyze as a theoretical exercise.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

One more possibility. Found it on a motorcycle website. Even MORE expensive... But still neat. Some sort of steerable axle.

http://www.idahotote.com

Discussion of these types of extensions seem to indicate that they don't run afoul of double-trails ring rules. They seem to be regarded as an extension of the trailer, rather than as another trailer. I want to see if I can get a conclusive answer from somewhere.

Given that Towing bicycles requires less weight capability... I wonder if one could be engineered at lower cost to handle a couple hundred pounds?

My mother used to have a one-wheel trailer to haul her scooter (it wouldn't fit in her car). It was made by someone in Texas. Dad said it burned up tires, but otherwise worked well.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
Discussion of these types of extensions seem to indicate that they don't run afoul of double-trails ring rules. They seem to be regarded as an extension of the trailer, rather than as another trailer. I want to see if I can get a conclusive answer from somewhere.
I think it is the Blue Ox web site that has a big table listing the triple-trailer rules and definitions on a state-by-state basis. You might check there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question what about backing up?

Wouldn't this be kinda goofy to back up with? Believe it or not, there is a limit to Mr. Overkill and I think this is one of those cases. Bicycles don't weigh very much. So unless your like those guys from Guatemala with 150 of them piled onto a flat bed trailer, I don't see the cost being worth it all. It's like killing a flee with a sledge hammer. Now if you have a Harley (god forbid) this might be the ticket. The best way to ride a Harley is on something of this nature. That way it doesn't use and leak so much oil!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Difficult to back up? Could be.
Overkill for bikes? Yup. Best solution is a rooftop carrier.

Like I said. Theoretical exercise. The OCD engineer in me just HATES the open reciever at the back of my TM. So, naturally I just have to find a theoretical solution to mounting a bike rack there.

I suspect the moment arms might still shake the heck out of the bikes, but haven't had time to do the math yet. The math is probably fun.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 08-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
ArkyDoodle

I would think the wheel (or two) dragging on the road surface could cause additional bouncing....

The best solution I've found is a front-mounted receiver, if for no other reason so you can keep an eye on what's goin' on......Rear mounting is outta site, outta mind, outta control.....until someone pulls up beside you and starts motioning wildly......Just think about the family dog in Chevy Chase's Family Vacation movie.....same thing with your bikes..... :-)

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Yup. Read all those front mounted articles too. Front is good too, but I like top. Anyway wheel might bounce more....or less. Proofs in the math.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL