TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Here's the controller mounter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	13681  

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
I'm willing to bet that it was my steering wheel that made it so scary. Does it get any easier with practice?
The secret is "Don't do anything to the steering wheel!" Hold it rock steady. Your instinct says to saw the wheel back and forth to try to gain control, but this results in over-correction, and this is where you lose it.

At the same time, don't stomp on the brake. Just steer straight, and gradually ease your speed down without using the brake.

These things are counter-intuitive, but are recommended by all safe-towing courses. I'll see if I can dig one up for review.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 AM   #13
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

In this instance I had to do both to avoid an accident. Stomp on brakes to gain time for a lane change. Swerve. Feel things go squirrelly. Overcompensate. Things get worse. Long second or two later, things got better. Replaying the moment I'm sure it was how I handled the maneuver. I did grab at the manual brake at some point. I was slow, and fumbled for the switch.

It could have turned out much worse than it did.

I've read those rules before and they make a lot of sense. But, it's a very different thing the first time you have to apply them. I think I like the idea of a device that can help apply brakes at the right time when seconds count. Of course, it's no substitute for defensive driving.

Would love to read anything you recommend re safe towing.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
These things are counter-intuitive, but are recommended by all safe-towing courses. I'll see if I can dig one up for review.
Where would I find such a safe towing course? I've seen defensive driving courses (I was kicked out because I knew the material better then the instructor) and I've seen motorcycle or boating safety courses... But a towing course would interest me. I admit I'm new to towing something as large as a camper.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mr. Funnypuns, I agree. There are times when you simply have to do something to avoid immediate disaster - jerk the wheel or stomp on the brake - and you describe one of those times very well. I think the question is, once you have avoided the immediate situation, what do you do next? If you continue to saw at the steering wheel, or hold the brake to the floor, the situation may quickly become much worse.

Short story. We were driving along a nice level stretch of Interstate in the midwest, at about 60 mph. There was a hard-packed dirt farm road running next to us. As I watched, a pickup truck accelerated past us on that road. He was towing a small flatbed trailer, properly loaded with a dozen bales of hay. They approached a softball-sized rock in the road, and the driver twitched the wheel to avoid it. The trailer began to sway just a little, and began to recover, but the farmhand panicked and tried to steer out of it with a jerk of the steering wheel. That made the sway worse. He swung the wheel left and right, farther and harder, in a desperate attempt to get control, then slammed on the brakes. The trailer jack-knifed, and pulled the whole rig, truck and trailer, into the ditch upside down. Fortunately the ditch was grassy and they both just slid along to a stop. But if he had resisted the urge to saw at the steering wheel, the rig would have self-corrected. The point is that for whatever reason, the timing of your natural reactions to a swaying motion are wrong, and things get more violent and go out of control in a hurry.

Shane -

If you Google "how to tow a trailer safely" you will get a lot of hits. Some of the hits point you to articles rather than full-blown courses, but they all reach very similar conclusions. An example of an article is
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...tow-a-trailer/.

The RV Safety and Education Foundation (RVSEF) has actual courses, some of which are conducted at a hands-on training site, some in classrooms, and some as online videos. Some of these courses have a fee. The RVSEF seems to concentrate primarily on weight, weight distribution, and trailer loading, but they have a lot to offer in other areas as well. Check out their list of courses at http://rvsafety.com/courses

The Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) offers courses. FMCA tends to concentrate on motor homes rather than towables, but a lot of the conclusions are the same.
https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/basic...ng-course.html

Some private outfits like RVUniversity or RF Videos on Demand offer training courses.

There seem to be a lot of sources. The biggest issue is weeding through them and finding one that is within your budget (if they have a cost), in your area (if they involve hands-on training), and at a time that meets your needs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote