TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Nikkira

Default Tow Vehicles

I've seen discussion about tow vehicles and towing capacities on some other threads, but I thought I'd ask here to get a more consolidated view.

I'm looking at purchasing a mid-size SUV with a 5,000 or so towing capacity that will seat 7-8 people. If you have advice on this, please let me know.

Also, what is your tow vehicle (with towing capacity) and what TM model do you have?
Nikkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One of the dirty little secrets of tow ratings (there are many) is that the weight of anything you put in the tow vehicle - cargo, people, accessories, and sometimes even gasoline - subtracts pound-for-pound from the tow rating. The only exception is the weight of the driver, and that is usually counted as 150 pounds.

In other words, if you put 5 passengers in the vehicle, and they average 175 pounds each, and then put 300 pounds of cargo in the wayback, and the driver weighs 200 pounds, then your total load is 1225 pounds. You have to subtract this amount from your tow rating. If you start with a 5000 pound rating, you are down to 3775 pounds of towing capacity.

Also remember that the published tow rating of the vehicle almost always comes with an asterisk, which reads "when properly equipped". These words usually mean that the vehicle must have the factory-installed tow package in order to reach the published rating.

And finally, once you have loaded up the vehicle, you have to watch out for something called GAWR-R (gross axle weight rating - rear). This is the total weight that the vehicle's rear suspension and axle can carry, including the weight that the vehicle itself puts on the rear end.

With these things in mind, a 5000 pound rating doesn't go as far as it would seem. Many of our members have 5000-pound rated vehicles, and they perform well. Many of them stay mostly in the flatlands, which helps a lot. The choice is yours - but be sure to consider how and where you will use your vehicle. From reading your other posts, I don't think you are contemplating carrying 7-8 people while you are towing a camping-ready TM - and that is a very good thing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkira View Post
I've seen discussion about tow vehicles and towing capacities on some other threads, but I thought I'd ask here to get a more consolidated view.

I'm looking at purchasing a mid-size SUV with a 5,000 or so towing capacity that will seat 7-8 people. If you have advice on this, please let me know.

Also, what is your tow vehicle (with towing capacity) and what TM model do you have?
Good Evening Nikkira ... I guess you decided it was time to step into the hornets's nest! In case you hadn't noticed, any discussion related to tow vehicles, tow ratings, TM weights, etc ... can quickly become a "holy war" with multiple posts and opinions!

Having said all that, Bill has begun the discussion with an excellent summary, and I'll see if I can attach the 2011 Trailer Life Towing Guide pdf to see if that might help in your decision making. it does an excellent job of providing all the tow vehicles capabilities, along with "Towing 101" basics.

I am somewhat biased of course, but the 2006-10 Ford Explorer's are quite up to the task, and if you are able to find a V8 with the factory tow package, towing capability rises from 5,000 to 7,000 lbs, which completely eliminates any discussion on your TV being "capable enough" or not.

Good luck with your search ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post
and I'll see if I can attach the 2011 Trailer Life Towing Guide pdf to see if that might help in your decision making. it does an excellent job of providing all the tow vehicles capabilities, along with "Towing 101" basics.
Should be attached now ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DigitalTLTowGuide2011.pdf (4.71 MB, 40 views)
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
jswinner

When it comes to liability, towing weights and posting on the internet, the reality is the only person you will not get a (legal) opinion from is an attorney! Manufactures state thing like this: Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR, and when hitched, the GCWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Lots of good info in the Ford guide too, page 29 illustrates how the math works : http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Nov12.pdf

I have a 2417 I tow with a Nissan Frontier crew cab. I am well within the tow rating (like 6,300 lbs). But it has a pretty low GVWR, and the yellow sticker limits the payload weight to just over 1,000 lbs. I would not tow anything more than 5,000 lbs with this rig despite it's larger rating, but then that would leave me with only 500 lbs beer errrrg cargo capacity. I am looking at a full size because I am near that cargo limit when fully loaded.

As you have read, others in the forum are comfortable pushing or exceeding their weight limits. I think many, like me, are drawn to TM because of the vehicles they already have. But, I don't recall seeing a single post anywhere lamenting that their TV was too large. Buy as much capability as you can afford and will feel safe towing.

Something like this is up to the task http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/comme.../passenger-van. It *only* has a 5,000 lb trailer rating, but you get over 2,700 lbs of rated cargo capacity with it!
jswinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Am biased but the current Jeep Grand Cherokee (Merc designed chassis) with DOHC 24 valve 6 is rated over 6,000 lbs with the factory towing package. Is 4-5 passenger but the sister Dodge Durango has three rows of seats so 6-8.

Is considered a mid-size SUV. I find mine is easy to park but needs a rear view camera.