TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RejoiceWay View Post
This lift kit w/harware was $40, but we had ordered a bunch of other stuff so can't say what the freight costs would have been just for the kit. We did end up taking it to a shop and had it installed at a cost of $187.50. When we took it to the shop we had printed out instructions from this forum and they really appreciated the detail.

Thanks so much!
Sometimes it's worth just taking it to a shop than trying to do it yourself if you don't have all the equipment. We found a very good truck and RV shop not far from us. Everyone told us that we wouldn't be able to find a place to get the TM inspected anywhere near D.C., but I kept looking around and finally found this shop. They seem very knowledgeable and we just had them do work on the TV. Their prices seem very fair. I love this forum!!! Like a big TM family.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
moaboy

North of DC -about 10 miles south of Thurmont MD (which by the way is the turnoff for Camp David) on highway 15 there are two very large and comprehensive RV dealers. Endless Mountain -the one you see first going north is my favorite and their prices are better. Plus near Thurmont is a pretty state park if you wanted to go to a dealer and go camping. Beautiful country especially in the fall.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
North of DC -about 10 miles south of Thurmont MD (which by the way is the turnoff for Camp David) on highway 15 there are two very large and comprehensive RV dealers. Endless Mountain -the one you see first going north is my favorite and their prices are better. Plus near Thurmont is a pretty state park if you wanted to go to a dealer and go camping. Beautiful country especially in the fall.
Are you referring to Cunningham Falls State Park? We tent camp there all the time both with the Cub Scouts and our family. Love it!

We've only had our TM out for three camping trips since we bought it in July. One trip to the KOA in Hagerstown and two trips to VA (Natural Bridge and Luray). May need to take a trip up North and visit those dealers. Not sure if they or mail order is the way to go on the 15" rims and tires.

I've been to Camping World in Northern VA or Queenstown RV in College Park for supplies. Seems cheaper to mail order from Camping World if we need something right away. Also found some Walmarts have a few general supplies. The selection varies from store to store.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Steppy

Default Check Your Axles Even If You're Not Installing A Lift Kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
You may find this thread helpful for the lift kit installation.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t+installation

You will find that your axle is welded to the frame. Be prepared to cut those welds. I used a 4" angle grinder with a steel cutting wheel. Also, carefully mark the location of the axle by scribing a mark down the frame and the axle with a square up against the trailer floor. Before tightening your new bolts, be sure that the scribed mark lines up by again placing the square against the trailer floor and lining up the scribe marks.

I would recommend having the lift spacers welded to the frame after installation (to keep it from moving fore & aft on the frame). It shouldn't be necessary to weld the axle to the spacer.

I'm changing from 14" to 15" wheels on my 2004 2720SL. I'm also replacing the brake assemblies and bearings & races as well. Yesterday after pulling the old the curbside brake assembly, I glance up at the place where the axle is bolted & welded to the frame and got a big shock. The forward bolt was gone, and the forward weld holding the axle to the frame was broken. If it were not for the fact that I was replacing the brake assemblies & installing a lift kit, I doubt that I would have detected this problem.

I guess the moral to this story is to inspect your axles to make sure they'll stay on your TMs regardless whether you're installing a lift kit or not!

As you'll see from the attached pic, I have a little frame repainting to do as well. Oh the joy!

Happy camping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0028.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	5754  
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Now that is truly scary!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
TM Pilot

angerlo,

How have your Maxxis 205/75R15 8-ply load range D tires been for you the last 3.5 years? A few months ago, I upgraded from 14" to 15" rims & tires on my TM2619 and I chose those very tires as well.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Steppy,

I'm sure that did not give you a warm fuzzy at all!! Glad you found that 1 b4 something ridiculous happened.

I changed over to 15" 225 75R15 E rated Maxxis tires this Spring and am very satisfied with the results. Our last trip was only 600 mi but everything seemed to run cooler and smoother than with the 14s.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I'm not sure you can conclude it was the wheel size that made the difference. One of the articles I read by a tire experts that is a professional witness. It indicates goodyear changed the thickness of the rubber between the belts or maybe it was between the belts and tread, and that was the cause of the de-lamination problem. Goodyear will not confirm that being the issue or that they had an issue. But they confirmed they change the specification and have gone to a thicker rubber between the layers.

Not sure I have the dates even close, but it seems everyone was having issues with tires made for about 4-5 years. Somewhere in the mid/late 2000's to around 2011 or so. I think Goodyear is past the issue.

So was it 15" tires, different tire manufacture, or the changes that goodyear made.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote