TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
TM Pilot

Default 215/75D14 Bias Trailer Tires

Plan on replacing my 2010 Goodyear Marathons 215/75R14 on my 2007 TM2619 sometime this year. Been reading the various threads on tires and have noticed there is not a lot of discussion about using bias tires. Has anybody have any experience using a bias tire instead of a radial on their TM? The main reason I got my eye on a bias tire is since the sidewall is stronger/stiffer that it might not do the amount of damage to the TM that a radial tire does if it blows out. Thoughts? Has anybody even had a blowout on a bias tire with their TM?

Here is one bias tire I was specifically looking at:

http://www.kendatire.com/en/specialt...loadstar-k550/
Kenda Tires - Loadstar K550 ST215/75D14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One additional point I have in reading the tire threads is that some have upgraded their 14" tires from Load Range C (1870lbs) to Load Range D (2000+ lbs). My stock rims on my 2619 have a max weight stamped on them of 1870lbs (Load Range C). Unless the rims are upgraded too, why mount a tire that exceeds the weight capacity of the rim? I'd rather have the tire fail than the rim. Besides my axle is limited to 3640lbs (TM Spec) or 3500lbs (Dexter Spec). Either way, the axle will max out before the 14" Load Rance C tire or rim will. Then there is the issue/risk of using a rim limited to 1870lbs @50psi being able to handle a 30% increase in psi (50psi to 65psi) to get the Load Range D tire to produce its Load Range D. Test Pilot!
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default a couple of thoughts for u

1. The preferred tire for trailers are radials. No flat spotting from sitting. Better defense against road hazards.

2. A reason to upgrade the tire weight capacity is to reduce tire failure. Rims don't seem to be a failure area.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
TM Pilot

1. Preferred by who? Lots of trailers use biased tires - some even come with them new from the factory. More than half of the 14" ST trailer tires offered by etrailer.com are biased tires. When I look at consumer complaints on vehicletire.com, the only complaints on Kenda tires are for the Karrier ST Radial! There is not a single complaint about Kenda's biased tires.

Radial and biased tires each have their pros and cons. Every trailer and how it's owner uses it determines what type of tire to use. Perhaps using a biased tire has been overlooked by many TM owners.

2. Does upgrading a 14" tire from Load Range C to Load Range D really reduce tire failure? I have read about many failures of the Kumho Radial 857 14" load range D (65psi) tires and they have the highest load range and speed offered in a 14" radial tire (though this tire is more comparable to an LT tire than an ST since it can be used on light trucks, vans, etc.). What I have not read are any consumer complaints on vehicletire.com of any Maxxis tires (there isn't even a link for Maxxis!). If I go with a radial, I'll use the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 215/75R14 (Load Range C). A 5-year warranty also says a lot.

For those using 14" tires on their TM's, there are two issues/risks about rims & psi limitations to carefully consider if using or planning to use a Load Range D tire (unless you want to be or are a test pilot):
--- 1. Using a 14" Load Range D tire filled to 65psi on a rim rated to 1870lbs @50psi. Test Pilot! Upgrade 14" rim to 65psi or downgrade to a Load Range C 14" tire.
--- 2. Using a 14" Load Range D tire filled to 50psi on a rim rated to 1870lbs @50psi. The Load Range D tire is producing only Load Range C at 50psi (maybe less!). Will running a Load Range D tire at Load Range C (underinflation) reduce or increase tire failure? Test Pilot! Upgrade 14" rim to 65psi or downgrade to a Load Range C 14" tire.

Running a rim above its max psi limitation could, over time, distort the rim just enough to separate the tire from the rim (blowout) - especially if combined with high temperatures; high speeds; dramatic temperature increase; aged tire; etc. A distorted rim caused by exceeding the rim's max psi limitation might not be noticeable with the naked eye or felt while driving by the seat of one's pants until it's too late.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

TM Pilot,

I posted this a while back, but I always like to show it again when discussing tires. While this one was made by Carlisle, I think the information is universal.

Dave

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
TM Pilot

Thanks, Dave. On a side note: here is one that has a good section on weighing a trailer:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is an article that has a good section on radial vs bias:
http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/trailer_tires.asp

BoatU.S. Trailering spoke with experts at two trailer tire manufacturers: Goodyear (maker of Marathon radials) and Kenda (maker of Karrier ST Radials and Load Star bias ply tires).

Bias Ply or Radial?

There are two kinds of tires: bias ply, made with layers of nylon textile cords placed on top of each other at 30-degree angles, and radials, composed of a single layer of rubber-coated steel cables with more steel belts placed at the crown of the tire (the part that touches the road). Bias ply are less expensive than radials but are more vulnerable to developing "flat areas" after sitting in one place for a long period of time. Radials are preferred by many for use on long highway trips as they run cooler than bias ply.

Radial tires offer many advantages for trailer applications including less heat buildup, better ability to carry loads, less rolling resistance (better fuel mileage), longer wear and softer ride. Bias tires offer stiffer sidewalls, which may be beneficial in some applications, but usually not in "trailer" (free rolling) service. -Goodyear Tire Company

Radial tires cost more and some tire makers push for it because they don't have bias ply to offer, but the fact remains that bias ply tires have stiffer sidewalls that will be more stable on the highway and give better comfort performance on off-road condition. Bottom line: Either radial or bias ply tires are fine as long as they are designed for trailer applications.- Kenda Tire Company.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift