TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Robin

Default Winter Travel

Do we need to put chains on the TM tires when traveling on snowy or icy roads? My tow vehicle is a 4x4 and has M&S tires.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Winter Travel

Robin -

Nope. I don't think there is enough clearance between the tire and the wheel well to allow you to use chains.

Suggestion - if the weather is SO BAD that you would even consider using chains, then find a campground and hunker down until it's over. We did it last year in Bowmansville, PA (Amish country) when we were caught in a snowstorm that dropped 12" overnight. We just settled down, fired up the furnace, poured some wine, and enjoyed the extra day in the area.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:24 PM   #3
efelker

Agree with Bill. About the only thing that chains on the TM would provide would be better traction for braking. In towing about all I see them doing is vibrating the heck out of the TM, scattering the spice jars hither and yon. But if the weather's that bad staying put with the heater on and drinking wine (Bill's suggestion) sure beats white knuckle, bleary eyed driving in a blizzard the smart and savy TM Owners would never venture out into.

EF
Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
Robin

I appreciate the advice - all of it. ;D

I have very little experience with snow driving and the mere thought of it makes me anxious. This will be our first winter with the TM and we are planning our trips. We have always wanted to winter camp, and now we are able to. It sure beats tenting.

There's a seminar I might want to attend in Yosemite in November and it may snow there. We also want a winter trip to Death Valley and the Mojave. Of course, there's no snow there, but there might be along the way crossing the Sierras. We also go to Kanab, Utah every Thanksgiving to volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. We always stay at a motel, but the TM sounds cozier.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
There's a seminar I might want to attend in Yosemite in November and it may snow there. We also want a winter trip to Death Valley and the Mojave. Of course, there's no snow there, but there might be along the way crossing the Sierras. We also go to Kanab, Utah every Thanksgiving to volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. We always stay at a motel, but the TM sounds cozier.
Robin...

I heartily concur with Bill's and Ed's advice about not towing on snowy roads. I had to do it once for about 30 miles...with only a motorcycle trailer...and I was never happier than to be able to get off the highway into a motel. Not only is it difficult to brake but the lateral (side to side) stability of the trailer gets really dicey as well...and tire chains don't help lateral stability a whole lot.

But living in California, you do have other options that northern clime folks don't. Yeah, Yosemite might be a bit iffy in November. However, your more southern destinations are probably do-able with your TM...if you're willing to be a bit flexible on timing and route.

Timing...if possible...should be tied to the 5 day weather forecasts. Head out only when you're reasonably assured of a 3 to 4 day period of good weather.

Your route planning should include thinking about going via lower elevation, more southern, albeit somewhat longer routes. Sometimes it's much easier to go around a wall (the Sierra) than over it.

For instance, if instead of taking a direct route over the Sierras toward Death Valley/the Mojave/southern Utah, you first went south to Bakersfield and then through Tehachapi Pass on Calif St. Rt 58 (a very good road) to I-15/I-40 at Barstow, you'd have a very good probability of snow-free roads even in mid-Winter. Yeah, it's probably substantially farther this way but road conditions are going to be much less of a concern. I lived near Riverside for a couple of years back in the early 90s and my recollection is that there were seldomly problems traveling around the Southern Cali desert and mountain areas up to Lost Wages, NV (Las Vegas) even in the Winter.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
efelker

Robin:

Ray has a good point. In the early 90s we moved from Kansas to CA and then moved on 2 years later from CA to AL. When we moved out it was mid June, and we took the "northern" route (I-80). Crossing the Sierras we encountered snow even at that time of year.

When we left CA we took the "Southern" route (I-10) and moved in February. No problems at all with snow.

If I were going to Yosemite in November, I'd definitely take the Southern route.

Ed
Old 10-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Robin -

Yosemite in November? What a great trip! I would love to do it! I would have expected a lot of snow in Yosemite in November - am I wrong? Can I ask you to post a detailed account of what you find, and a bunch of pix?

My wife and I both loved Yosemite in May, but I never considered a visit in the fall. To get there, we would have to leave New England earlier than our normal habit. But it might be worth it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Yeah, I know we were gone longer than we thought, but we ran into this really rotten weather while we were in ________, and you know how dangerous it can be to pull a trailer when it's _________ outside.

Anyway, we decided that for our safety we should probably just hole up for a few days until the weather improved.

It was really miserable in that camp ground, but we managed to keep ourselves busy until we were able to get back on the road. Sorry we didn't get back sooner
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:30 PM   #9
2619PDX

I'd have to agree with Bill and Ray on this one. If you even think you need chains on the trailer, stay below the snow zone and drive into it from there... Safety First!

That's what I'm going to do over the long Thanksgiving weekend. We're going to head for Mt Hood in Oregon's Cascade mountains. (Only an hours drive from home here in Portland...) We'll camp in Welches at the 1200 foot level, with little or no snow, and then drive up and play!

Using the TM for this sure beats commuting or paying hotel and dining fee's!!!

Gregg