TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Impressive! Weighs only 12 lbs and small - 10 inches deep and 7.88 inches wide. Wood pellets are relatively light weight and easily transported. Still, even with the TM so well ventilated , I would be hesitant to have one in use while I slept.
I have lived on board a trawler that had one of those installed, really good at driving away the damp cold.

Here is the other one I was thinking of... Navigator Stoves I have an Airstream that will never see the road again, we are probably going to turn it into a guest cottage, this is the concept I am considering. Airstreams are notoriously not thermally efficient, so brute thermal force is the only way to heat or cool them.

Aaron
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Seen wood stoves on boats and in Airstreams... The Dickinson Newport stoves are designed for that type of installation, not cheap though.

Aaron
Interesting. I've never seen a stove like this, and as you say, it is not cheap. So the stove costs almost $400 with shipping, and the user will put a couple hundred into parts and labor to install it. Say $600 total. I can heat my TM for a long time for $600 worth of propane, and keep the interior space open for my own use.

According to the specs, it produces about 5000 BTU of heat (the TM furnace produces 15,000 to 20,000 BTU), and it has to be reloaded about every 4 hours.

I'm just not seeing the merit here, but it is a fascinating idea, and I'm anxious to see where it goes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Wow, those are small stoves. if you're looking for a small guest cottage, have you looked at Tiny houses? You can purchase or get plans for making your own. They're interesting and still mobile.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Wow, those are small stoves. if you're looking for a small guest cottage, have you looked at Tiny houses? You can purchase or get plans for making your own. They're interesting and still mobile.
Very familiar with the Tiny Houses, worked on a couple out in Iowa 3 years ago. The main reason to use the Airstream is because we already have it, and it was free for the taking. It still has the bathroom and kitchen in it, so we are way ahead of the game there.

My background includes a lot of unconventional residential construction as well as marine and RV repair and maintenance. Been at it for over 35 years.

Aaron
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

Neat unit, but I think that would be way too much heat for a TM! Where do you plan to camp in Alaska in the winter? If you need a heater like that, it's way too cold to camp. Just my opinion

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote