TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Goodyear Marathon Tire Load Limits

I have read a lot of threads on the forum that suggest Trailmanors will get "beat up" on rough roads with tires inflated to their maximum pressure. For my Marathon ST225/75R15s on my new 2922KD that would be 65psi.
The trailer dry weight is 2975 lbs with a sticker load capacity of 795 lbs which comes to a total weight of 3770 lbs. I will never travel with water in tank, grey water tank,toilet or water heater.
So, I can't imagine it ever weighing more than 5000 lbs, probably never much over 4000 lbs.
Looking at the Goodyear load limit chart, at 50psi, the max load is 4300 lbs, at 55psi it's 4440 lbs.
Would there be any reason not to keep pressure at 50psi?
I have seen some people keep a 12V air compressor to re-inflate their tires for paved roads. I would just as soon avoid that hassle if there is no particular downside to keeping tires at 50 to 55psi.
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

sounds like a job for wmtire, mybe send him a pm, if he does not chime in, he sure sent me down the right path when i needed tire info.
i do agree with you thoughts though, or at least it makes sense to me,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

It's hard to write about tires and keep it short, but if my "summary" isn't enough I'll lengthen it later. Sidewall failure (blowout) in a trailer tire is always an exciting event (I've been there), and not in a good way. Traumatic failure is caused by a puncture or bruising, i.e. hitting something hard, but the most common failures are non-traumatic. There are three factors for non-traumatic sidewall failure: applied force (weight of the trailer), age of the tire, and heat. These work together, so the heavier the load, the older the tire, the less heat it can handle. Every trailer owner will find his/her own comfort zone on tire age, but my absolute limit is six years. When a tire reaches its DOT manufacturer's date (stamped on the sidewall) plus 6 years, it's time to go. It does not matter what the tire looks like on the outside. See wmtire's post on tire age. Heat is caused by the "flexing" that the sidewall does when its rolling down the road. All tires generate heat when rolling, but the heavier the load, the less they are inflated, and the faster they are rolling the more heat they create. A final variable in heat is the ambient air temperature, as this affects the tires ability to dissipate the heat it is generating. So, finally, to MarkoPolo's question: if you're traveling on a dirt road at 30 mph and it's 70 degrees or so, putting 50 or 55 psi in your Marathons will probably have little impact on sidewall heating. But if you're traveling at 65 mph (the maximum recommended speed by Goodyear) on six+ year old tires on a 95 degree day, I would strongly recommend you inflate to 65 psi...and keep checking your side mirrors for possible excitement!
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote