TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Jabart7

Default What is the latest thinking on TM tires?

I know this subject has been beat to death. I have spend way too many hours researching the subject without coming to a clear understanding of the cause of the TM blowout problem.
But it seems that larger tires and higher load ratings are a good insurance. Having said that it seems that since 2008 the failure rates of TT tires has almost went away. I base this on research on trailer forums of all kinds and on boat forums also. My local Discount tire store manager says that since the rash of failures before 2008 more tire manufacturing has been brought back to the US and the failure rates have been reduced significantly. Specifically he quoted Carlisle and Marathon.
So, I have decided to upgrade my 2619 to 15" tires in the 'D' load range. Now this brings up another can of worms because the heavier side wall will give a stiffer ride and create some trailer damage, especially if you take advantage of the extra PSI limits of the 'D' rated tires. Also this opens the door to which rims to purchase. At this time I feel safe to buy a rim rated at 2600# as that is the same limits as the ST225/75R/15 with 65# pressure. Also, there is some thought that if you run these tires at 50# you might not get the safety margin you expect.

What are your thoughts?
Jason
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Scott O

Good thoughts Jason. I am in the same position of needing new tires, but haven't done the research yet. I'm hoping this thread will help me make some sort of reasoned decision...
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jason -

The question "What is the thinking?" implies that there ought to be some sort of informed concensus. Sadly there is not. Most owners have experience with only one manufacturer, so they have no solid basis of comparison. In other words, if I had gone through a set of Carlisles and a set of Marathons, then I might be able to offer a meaningful comparison. But since I haven't, I can only offer my impression of the one I used.

To answer some of your questions, the added load-bearing capacity of the D-rated tire does seem to make a difference. Owners (including me) who have upgraded from C to D seem to have fewer problems after upgrading than before. And the fact that TM has moved entirely to D-rated tires ought to say something.

Buying wheels (rims) that meet the expected load just makes sense. If you've read the threads, you know that there are some 1500-pound-rated wheels out there. But most wheels in the 15-inch size seem to be rated 2600 pounds, and that makes much more sense for a 4000-pound trailer.

The load rating of a tire is certainly dependent on its inflation pressure. You can (and should) go the manufacturer's web site and look up the numbers. What they seem to say is that, if a D-rated tire is inflated to only 50 psi (the C-rating), then you get the load capacity of C-rated tire, more or less. Perhaps this is not a surprise. To achieve the full D rating, they need to be inflated to their max pressure, which is often 65 psi. And yes, the higher pressure makes them harder. (I'm not sure this has much to do with a stiffer sidewall, but I could be wrong.)

Speaking only for myself, I wanted more load capacity than the C-rated tire, but I didn't need all of the capacity of a D-rated tire. I needed sort of a C-and-a-half, and I got it by putting on D-rated tires, but inflating them to only 60 psi or a bit less.

Finally, a harder tire will of course transmit more road shock to the TM body. The first lesson, of course, is to take it easy on rough roads (such as construction zones). But the second lesson is to balance those tires, so they roll smoothly, and don't generate their own shocks by pounding as they rotate. I have a feeling (but no proof) that this board's discovery of the importance of balancing wheels is about as important as going to larger tires.

So there is no stock answer that says "Brand X and Size Y is the best!" But by taking the right steps (increasing the load rating, choosing the inflation pressure you need, and balancing each wheel), you can do yourself a lot of good.

Hope this helps. I look forward to hearing wmtire's assessment of the situation, especially the issue of whether build-quality has improved.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
moaboy

My sense is that round tires work better than any other shape...but I am open to new ideas...like maybe a tank track, but they would probably be noisy and expensive.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Steel valve stems

Another thing to consider is the valve stem. I had two flats that were the result of faulty rubber valve stems. One actually failed while "parked" at Bryce Canyon NP for 3 months while I was hosting. According to Consumers Union (several years ago), millions of defective ones were shipped to the US. As far as I'm concerned, steel valves are the only way to go.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
trailbiker

I puchased a set of Kumho 14" tires last year, to replace the original 6 year old Marathons. They are rated D range. I ordered them from TireRack. the first set they sent had a manufacture date over 18 months from the date I purchased them. WMtire pointed out to me that the warranty starts from the date they are made not the purchase date. I had to send them back and it was a hassle. My first choice would have been Maxxis, but I was not able to find them locally. So far no problem with 3000 miles.

2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote