TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Short article on transmission care

I seem to be the guy who most often warns about caring for the transmission in your tow vehicle, and the dangers of failing to do so. So I was interested to see a short article in this week's RVTravel newsletter.

http://www.rvtechtips.com/2012/11/ig...-your-own.html

Similar articles appear now and again in various publications, and like this one, they always seem to draw responses from the guys who claim that they use some "magic stuff". Their posts describe the benefits of the magic stuff in glowing terms, but always seem to be just a re-post of the manufacturer's advertising hype - so I ignore it.

My personal advice is to forget the "magic stuff", but change the fluid on the manufacturer's recommended schedule, which can range from 30K miles to 100K miles. Make sure you have an aux tranny cooler (not just the standard cooler that comes in every vehicle). And get a transmission temp gauge, so you have a chance to minimize problems before they get really serious.

Just my thoughts - again.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Scottie Dogs

Hi -

I take my 2010 Ford Explorer to the dealer where I bought it new for oil changes, and they rotate the tires and let me know exactly what I need at the mileage I have. They check all things out and I don’t have to worry about forgetting service work, they tell me, plus the truck comes out all washed. From day one all my service will be on Ford’s computers, I gave up on this quick lubes and come home and have a oil leak on the garage floor from some high school oil changer, those days are GONE. What ever Ford says I say (yes sir) get it done and done right.

Every 6 months they send me a card that I am due for the “Auto Butler” outside finish protective treatment which came with my purchase for my warranty life. It is wonderful, I go right over and get it done it takes 3 hours but that is fine they have Wi-Fi in the waiting room, so I can go on this site

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck-Trailer-good-pic..jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7986  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Now that is a gorgeous vehicle!