TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
KevinP

Default Upgrade from 20 gal to 40 gal fresh water tank in 05 2720sl

Greetings all! I've got a 2005 2720sl that was well equipped by the original buyer, with exception of the water capacity. It's only got a 20 gallon tank. The new Sl has a 40 gallon option. Does anybody know how to retrofit a 40 gallon tank? Where does the bigger tank go? Anybody have pictures? Thanks,

Kevin
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A retrofit in a 2720 (or other non-slideout model) is relatively simple, and has been covered, with photos, here on the board. With a slideout model, it would be trickier. Assuming you don't want to give up any drawer space, I'm thinking another 20-gallon tank would have to go on the slide, under the couch. There is plenty of space there, but you would need an extendable feedline (just as the electric wires and gas line to the slide are extendable) between the old and new tanks, and most likely a separate fill port. You might find that you need a separate transfer pump, to move water from the new tank into the original tank when needed. It would flow by itself only if you could keep the connecting line very close to level (no high points). In any event, you would want to travel with the new tank empty - the slider would be hard to move with an extra 170 pounds on it.

I don't recall seeing it done, but perhaps someone else does.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

It's been worked out how to utilize the on-board pump to reverse fill the 20 gal tank. IMO it's far easier to carry extra water in any old container(s) and just refill the tank when needed, than to try retrofitting an extra tank into the slide area, especially considering that you would need to have it empty any time you opened/closed the TM.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
LiveTicker

Same question for a 2002 TM3032 (non slideout).
I have a 20 gallon tank under the drivers side bench along with the pump and furnace. The tank is half the width of the bench.
On the opposite side I have a shorter bench with drawers and a 110v outlet in the center.

So if I got a new TM3023 with the 40 gallon option... the tank would fill the entire space. Where does the new furnace and pump go?
How does the factory do it?

Yes I have seached here for "40 gallon" ,"40 gal*", and checked the titles of every thread in plumbing back to 2003.
There are some threads thinking about adding a second 20 gallon tank in other places.
The best thing I can find is: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2353 and of course the photos are absent. Where did ripp1202 put the tank?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
KevinP

I may have to break down and call the factory. There's a space between the frame rails behind the spare that would be perfect for at least 20 gal, but that's to good to hope for.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
KevinP

The factory answer from Ed is that there is no 40 gal option from the factory on the slider. Putting it in the slider adds several complications and takes up storage space. Maybe i'll put a tank under the frame with a pump some day, but carrying extra water in containers is a more reasonable option for now. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I have a 2005 TM 2720 with the factory 40 gallon fresh water tank.

This is not enough for a 3 day camping trip with 5 adults riding motorcycles and ATVs int he dirt.

I carry 3-8 gallon portable water containers plus 2-7 gallon water containers.

So I leave home with 78 gallons of water. So far that has been adequate.

The 8 gallon containers can be set on their side and then the water spigot can be opened to fill pots, pans, glasses, etc.

The 7 gallon containers have a short (4-6 inch long) spout that fits inside the TM water fill opening.

If that is not enough water then it is only a little over an hour round trip to get more.

I also have a back packing water pump that I can pump and filter water as long as I can find a water source that is flowing.

No matter how big your water tank is, there are times when it will still be too small.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
ng2951

I would say its your TM and if a 40 gallon tank makes you happy and enjoy your TM better...go for it! Like they say there is plenty of info on how to do that in this forum.

I have a 3326 which only has a 20 gallon tank. That has never been that big an issue since we tend not camp more that 4 days.

Its just the two of us, and our two dogs. By day 4 the toliet needs to be dumped. In general two 6 gallon water cans meet all the needs as long as we are careful about dish washing. I have considered using a transfer pump so I don't have to lift the water cans.

Having water cans is an advantage for me. Number one it is a physical reminder that the grey water tank is now half full. I always add water 6 gallons at time, because when I get to last can I know I am down to my last 6 gallons and will need to hit a dump station in about a day.

The second advantage is being able to refill the two cans without moving the TM. If you are traveling light, you can even setup and then fill the cans and refill the TM tanks as needed.

I don't think adding a larger tank is worth the trouble. Its just too easy to refill the tanks from cans...