TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
bfezel

Default Bed Improvement Made

One of the big selling points for me on the TM, and in particular the 3124KS, is the advantage of having a large, fixed bed while holding down the overall weight and having a unit that would be stable and easy to tow. Of course as with many things in life there are tradeoffs. With this particular arrangement, putting a bottom sheet on the bed and improving its comfort with any type pad presents major challenges. After reading many posts on this forum and doing some thinking, I have come up with what is a good compromise solution for us.

I started with two long twin (39x80), 2-inch memory foam pads from Healthy Foundations (www.healthyfoundations.com). They are not cheap, but the old adage holds true: “you get what you pay for.” These feel incredible and are especially comfortable for my wife who has significant problems with arthritis.

Next I purchased two flat, 500 thread count Queen sheets (90x108) from Linen ‘N Things. Note: flat sheets that are not part of a set are more difficult to find. I specifically wanted a high thread count because I don’t want to have to repeat the remainder of this project anytime soon.

I then acquired two YKK #3, 108 inch zippers from Zipper Stop (http://zipperstop.com/) in New York. These folks have everything you can think of in zippers and are very good to deal with. One phone call was all it took and I had the zippers in two days.

Then it was time to take one of the pads, the sheets, and the zippers to my Mom. Although she is up in years she has a long history of being an excellent seamstress. She did the appropriate measuring, cutting, and stitching and the end result is an “envelope sheet” that fits completely around the memory foam pad. The zipper runs the length of one side and a little more than half way across the bottom. Now there is no problem with making the bed with a bottom sheet since it is always with the pad. The two pads laid side by side completely cover the king size bed with no gap in the middle. It’s a simple matter to unzip the sheets and remove them for washing.

Some are already wondering how you close the TM with a 2-inch pad on the bed. You don’t! Simply fold the individual pads in thirds and lay them on the front sofa. Takes all of two minutes.

If anyone wants to try this and has questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them. This forum has given me lots of valuable information on the TM and I want to contribute in any way possible to the enjoyment of others as we all seek ways to improve an already great product.

Bill
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
lnussbau

My solution for my 2720SL was easier, but similar. Sam's Club has queen size (and king) memory foam mattresses for just over $100, so I picked one up -- comes with its own cover sheet. And like Bill, I just fold it and put it on the sofa for travel. Mmmmm, comfy.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
shunter917
Site Sponsor

We have an Aerobed 2" topper on our 3023 mattress. When we get to a destination, I plug in the included pump and pump the topper up. When we are ready to leave, I just unhook the hoses and allow it to deflate on its own.

It came with a mattress pad. When I change the sheets, I do it before I pull the beds out (after opening the shells). I can get to both sides of both beds easier this way.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote