TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default My TM is in - walk-through advice?

My 3124KS has arrived at the dealer - delivery will be on July 21.

I expect the usual walk-through, verbal instructions, hitch finalizing, and set-up/take-down practice. My first stop will be a vacant parking lot for some turning and backing-up practice. TV is a Sequoia with a receiver hitch - dealer handling the rest.

Aside from the usual making sure that all the systems work, any special tips for making this a good experience?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
My 3124KS has arrived at the dealer - delivery will be on July 21.
Aside from the usual making sure that all the systems work, any special tips for making this a good experience?
If you have one available to you, take a video camera to film the setup/take down procedures. It's not too difficult after you've done it a few times, but some things need to be done in sequence. It helps if you have something to review at your leisure.

Good luck with your new TM!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rich -

There are a lot of different spotter procedures. Let me suggest one that seems to result in a minimum amount of shouting and dinged sheet metal. Assuming you are the driver:

1. Your spotter stands behind the TM, to one side, within your field of view.
2. The spotter POINTS in the direction that the REAR of the TM should go.
3. You put your hands on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, and move it in the direction that the spotter is pointing.

That's the core of it. The rest is:

4. The spotter's other job is to stay in your field of view as the rig moves. Like the sticker says, "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you.". The spotter can stand on either side of the TM, as needed, but MUST be in your field of view.
5. If you lose sight of the spotter, STOP.
6. The spotter doesn't SAY anything. He/she points, and gestures GO or STOP. That's all. It is entirely too easy for the driver to fail to hear something that the spotter yells. I have a hole in my garage wall to prove it.
7. Back slowly. Stop often. There is no hurry.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
SireMike

Portable radios are great with a spotter.

Also ensure you both understand directions.

For example " go left" is different depending on orientation of each person. Better to understand the spotter wants the rear of the trailer to go towards "driver" or passenger side" or whatever works better for you.

I got in a hurry one time and got lucky I did not dent up the trailer.

I always chock the trailer before disconnecting and leave the nose jack wheel on sitting on a plastic leveler or special jack wheel chock. This time I did not use the jack wheel chock and when we started opening the trailer the nose swung around a little until the trailer wheels stopped it. The rear was close to a fence but did not hit it.

Don;t get into a hurry a develop a routine, use a checklist, or whatever method is best for you.

mike
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
mkiley

trailmanor.doc

Congratulations Rich, I'm actually planning on purchasing a used 2720 this week as well.

I have attached my cheat sheet with an acceptance checklist, as well a checklist for using the TM. If anyone on the forum recognizes the text, y'all should, since I assembled this from the amazing wealth of information on this forum.
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiley View Post
Attachment 1990

Congratulations Rich, I'm actually planning on purchasing a used 2720 this week as well.

I have attached my cheat sheet with an acceptance checklist, as well a checklist for using the TM. If anyone on the forum recognizes the text, y'all should, since I assembled this from the amazing wealth of information on this forum.
Thanks, Mike. I justed printed it out.

Rich
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
jcjim4

Default campsite parking

sounds like all advice assumes at least 2 people are available. I will be the sole parker/spotter. Guess that means to be "VERY" careful?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Practice makes perfect

Jims,

You can do it solo, it just takes practice. Learning in a vacant lot is great, and if you can borrow some of those cones the kids practice parking with during driver training that can help too.

We used to rent U-Haul and I was forever going and picking up trailers. It didn't take long before I could back up to the trailer within 1/2" hook up, and I was out of there... Then I was backing in to unhook on our lot and parking it between two other trailers. For a while I would get in and out a lot as I was backing/turning but it isn't as bad as it seems.

One thing I always did was inspect the area I was going to be backing into and noting any posts, rocks, or other obstacles.

So, just be carefull and you will be fine.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Al-n-Sue

Default Hitching Rods/Trailer Alignment Kits

Hooking up is part of this thread and I just discovered (because I think they are new) a couple of sources of "hitching rods" - Camping World has then under this name and Harbor Freight has them with a more formal name of Trailer Alignment Kit. They are basically two expandable rods (like car radio antennas) with magnets on one end. Place one on the hitch and one on the ball. Using your rear view mirror, line them up and when the hitch pushes the one off the ball, you are ready to hook up! I came real close to perfect on my first attempt.
Hope this helps.
Alan