TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Equivalent to what?

I am unabashedly skeptical of comparisons and claims, especially those rendered by telemarketers, info-mercials, politicians, consultants, airplane manufacturers, resume-writers and some TV preachers, so it's easy to extend the list to trailer-makers.

The top line of the spec sheet for my 3124KS says "Equivalent Travel Trailer Size--Open" is 31'.

The next line says "Towing Length--Closed" is 24' 3".

Next line says "Body Length--Open" is 27' 11". (Say 28' for simplicity)

A skeptic might ask how they come up with the additional 3', since it appears the most they can measure is about 28.' The most-obvious answer is that it must be the "equivalency."

The secret lies in the fold-out beds and/or the slide out Sofas, but where? The company gives itself the benefit of the doubt by saying that the front bed and-or slideout extends the usable space by whatever the dimension of those components may be, even though it doesn't increase the over-all length of the trailer. Why? Because the space gained is above the tongue of the trailer (the length of which was included in the closed towing length above.)

Since they obviously assume (and I have no reason to doubt) that the tongue length is generally included in the published dimensions of travel trailers, then the space gained (and included in the calcuations) by converting the space above the tongue to usable space is real. They don't dwell on the fact that the space isn't floor-to-ceiling (if its a bed that folds out) but since most people probably don't think of the space under their beds as usable anyway, it would be nit-picking to fault TM for remaining silent on this issue. In our unit, the slide-out living area makes most all of the space usable, so the argument is moot.

Starting from the back of my 3124KS, the king-size bed extends 4' past the bottom portion of the trailer, because the two storage spaces (one accessed internally and one externally) are located under about 3' of the bed. But since the bed protrudes a full 7' from the end of the interior hallway, the company gives itself an "equivalency" of the full 7' when developing the sales literature.

I measured our trailer, and found the basic bottom box is about 18' 8" in length. The slide out adds another 3' 9" and the overhang of the front shell adds another 1' 6" at the top. Added together, the total open length is exactly as advertised:

4' 0" Bed overhang
18' 8" Box
3' 9" Slider
1' 6" Additional Front Shell Overhang
27' 11" Total Length Open

So where are the three feet that make up the the "equivalency" between the ~28' measured and the 31' claimed by the manufacturer? To paraphrase the campaign strategy of a former President, "It's the storage, stupid."

The ~three-foot depth of the storage space under the bed is double counted. It is included in the length of the trailer (verified by the yardstick) and also counted in the bed dimension, since it is inarguable that when you reach the end of the hallway between the wardrobe and the bathroom, the only place you can go is up on the bed, which is 7' long.

And as Paul Harvey likes to say, " . . . and now you know the rest of the story."

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:56 PM   #12
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-V_Driver
Equivalent to what?
The top line of the spec sheet for my 3124KS says "Equivalent Travel Trailer Size--Open" is 31'.

The next line says "Towing Length--Closed" is 24' 3".

Next line says "Body Length--Open" is 27' 11". (Say 28' for simplicity)
Interesting

The old style TrailManor body size model numbers reflected the actual body length when open. Your 3124KS would have been a model 28M (= 28').

The "Equivalent Travel Trailer Size" is derived by adding an imaginary hitch length (3') to the open body length (28') which equals (31').

A conventional travel trailer is rated by it's overall measured length from hitch to rear bumper.

TrailManor is equating it's "Equivalent Travel Trailer Size" to a conventional travel trailer measured length.

MJL

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:28 PM   #13
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Mike,

I have no doubt that you are right, since I had no idea a 28M ever existed; or if it did, how they measured it. It was fun to measure and figure out my unit anyway, and I now have a better understanding of the real numbers that I wouldn't have had without spending the time.

And besides that, my conclusion about the "equivalency" conspiracy/mystery is much more intriguing than just saying "add a hypothetical three feet to the open length." Why should I let the facts stand in the way when the arithmetic works so well? On the other hand, if heresy is frowned on, I don't want to be a source of misinformation and can just delete the post and entertain myself with the information gained.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 PM   #14
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Wayne,
Please don't delete your post. It makes for interesting reading and someone may get something out of it. Besides, my post would make no sense if you deleted yours.
MJL

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
CamperCoyle

Default Thanks for the information...

All I was really trying to determine is what size campsites I can get into. With a 2720 - I can consider the "camping vehicle" length to be 24'. Some of the places we go don't want campers over 25' - so that was the purpose of the question.

Thanks for all the input - it's an interesting discussion.

By the way - ordered my 2720 a week ago - with the Blue interior. I will post pictures when it arrives - sometime around the end of September!

Sylvia

2004 Durango
2005 2720 (on the way!)
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #16
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Little kid came into the house and said "Mom, where did I come from?"

Figuring that the question was an indication that it was time to explain the entire process, the mother took the boy into the library, got out all the appropriate materials, and went through the entire human reproduction drill in great detail.

When she was finished, she asked "Does that answer your question?"

"Well, I'm not sure" he said. "The reason I asked is because a new kid just moved in down the block, and said he came from Boston."