TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Maintenance costs

I feel like I've asked so many questions, I'm becoming a nuisance. After doing lots of searches/research on this forum and others, I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying a camper. Money being the issue. We have 4 licensed drivers in this house soon to be 5. That's a lot of $$ already in car insurance. My twins share a car, so we are maintaining 3 cars possibly adding a 4th once the 15 yr old gets her license. I know how much cars cost to maintain, but campers are a mystery to me. I'm curious to hear how much money you put into your used camper after initial purchase, and/or how much it costs you per year to maintain. I know this will vary widely... As much as I have camping fever, I don't want to be stupid about this. A new, upgraded tent is looking better and better.
momto4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well I sold my RV for twice what I paid for the TM. Then put about $3k into tires, wheels, awning, 200W of solar, & 2 GC2 batteries. Rewiring most was probably $100. Also $35 to replace the torsion bar bolts with stainless and about $20 for LEDs.

But those were mainly one-time costs. Insurance for the trailer is about $200/year, license $40, will need tires in 2018 and probably new tarps next year ($50).

Cost to tow about $3.50/100 miles more than driving for gas.

All I can say is that all in all it is a lot less than my 21' RV and has more space inside.

Also took son from cub to eagle scout. Have had enough tent camping with no AC in a hot climate for several lifetimes.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
momto4girls

Thanks, Padgett. I'm still mulling it over. We usually take one week long trip a year that involves renting a condo. If we can vacation in our camper instead of a condo, that makes it easier to justify the expense. Our tent camping has been limited to once or twice a year for a few days at a time. My husband has accumulated more vacation time, so we'd love to get away more.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Thanks, Padgett. I'm still mulling it over. We usually take one week long trip a year that involves renting a condo. If we can vacation in our camper instead of a condo, that makes it easier to justify the expense. Our tent camping has been limited to once or twice a year for a few days at a time. My husband has accumulated more vacation time, so we'd love to get away more.
For us, the TM was a compromise between tent camping and just staying in a condo/hotel for vacation. Because there is a "cost" for tent camping in terms of the time to setup and take down your campsite, especially if it's raining, plus no bathroom. The big advantage for the TM is that it has a "real" bathroom, so for your girls that is critical. Plus in bad weather it's very easy to setup and take down even in the rain. It also opens up other options like national parks which do not have a hotel/condo nearby.

The cost of maintenance depends on the unit you end up with and the condition. For us, it was minimal given it was in good shape to begin with.

Good luck with your decision!
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I know your pain. If you have 3 or 4 young drivers, then one would have to be pretty well off to have much additional discretionary money left over after the car, insurance and school expenses. I know we had two teen drivers at one time and we still had our older pop-up camper (in relatively good shape) and there is no way we could have afforded buying another camper, even a used one at that time.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Mom,

If you have a vehicle that can tow a camper have you thought about renting one? It might be cheap enough and it would also let you see if the camper is what you want verses staying with a tent? I have rented popups and that's what lead me to my first camper; a Palomino. I kept it for 12 years and sold it to a dear freind when I bought my TM.
I too never want to spend more money than I need too, but when I do I want my moneys worth. Good luck with your decission.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
momto4girls

I'll have to look at whether there are any camper rentals around here. That would be fun. If I add up what we spent on vacations each year, it might come out pretty even. Thinking optimistically, if we bought a TM this year, used it for a few years, then sold it--we'd get some money out of it. And the depreciation might not be anymore than what we would have spent renting a condo at the beach each year. IDK
Old 05-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

At the moment a good TM of the 2005-2010 vintage does not seem to be depreciating at all. From what I am seeing mine is worth more than when I bought it two years ago even factoring in the upgrades.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
At the moment a good TM of the 2005-2010 vintage does not seem to be depreciating at all. From what I am seeing mine is worth more than when I bought it two years ago even factoring in the upgrades.
That is very encouraging!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
ChefLamont

I have no experience or connection to this web site, but the concept looks interesting. Kinda sorta reads like Airbnb for campers. However, for smaller towable campers, the prices seem very reasonable especially when compared to the "traditional" rental places around here. May be worth looking into and a somewhat inexpensive way to see if a camper is something you want to pursue. (I may try the site myself in a few months.....we'll see.)

https://rvshare.com
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote