TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
dlkcub

Default First TM Camping Season

I’d wanted a TM every since I first saw one several years ago at an RV show. We had an old pop-up which served us well and was still in good condition so we just continued use it and dream of something bigger and better some day. After the kid (4 boys) were grown and gone we gave the pop-up away. DW and I did not camp for a couple of years but I always planned on getting another camper that the two of us could travel in after retiring. Like so many others I read almost every post on this site and agonized over what to get. I wanted something that could be pulled with my Dodge Dakota PU but would have enough room that we wouldn’t kill each other if we were in it for an extended time. Finally I convinced DW that a 3326 was for us. We couldn’t afford a new one so I searched for used ones that were affordable. After many months of searching in May I found a 98 TM-3326. Because I had learned so much from this site I knew more about the TM then the dealer (not a TM dealer) who was selling it. There were a few problems that I found with it but I was able to use them as bargaining point to get a better deal. We stopped on our way home at a state park and set up using information I got from this site. We didn’t have any camping equipment etc. with us so we went to a local store and bought a few things and some food and returned to our new camper to check things out. Even though it rained all night that was the first of several great camping experiences we have enjoyed this past summer including a two week trip out west to Glacier, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, and points in between. The TM pulls great. Sometimes I almost forget that it’s there. The problems that I’ve had were minor and I was able to fix them with the help of info. on this site. If I ever get another camper it will probably just be a newer TM.

We just got back from a long weekend trip (5 days) probably our last of this season. We went to Thomson Causeway, a Corp of Engineer campground on the Mississippi river in Northwest Illinois. A great campground, well maintained and right on the river. We’re already making plans and dreaming about next spring.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

congrats and continue to enjoy!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Dixielou

Default 3326K A Good Choice

Dave and Marge, aka dlkcub

Enjoyed reading your First TM Camping Season post.

Dixie and I are on our second 3326K TM and agree with you that this is a most comfortable model allowing one to take all that may be needed, whether on an extended trip or just a short get-away weekend--perfect for us retired folk. I especially appreciate the extra safety of two axles and the overall ease of towing.

Prior to buying a TM I would imagine all of us have struggled with the pros and cons of a TM, and as compared to more traditional trailers. Ultimately, we recognize that there are few absolutes in life and that the great majority of choices involve compromises of one kind or another. But when one's needs and values coincide with what a TM has to offer, there is much satisfaction to be realized. Clearly, for all of us TM Owner's Forum members, the benefits of TM ownership outweigh the negatives and these benefits become more evident with extended ownership.

Enjoy your 3326K and welcome to the board.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Default the TM Experience

We used to tent camp for recreation. Ususally 10 days at a time. Then we found the hobby of Dog Agility which we really got hooked on. All our vacation time was taken up with travel to shows. We got a tent trailer for going to the shows to keep from paying motel rates but never used it to camp for the sake of camping. Now that we have our TM, we are planning some real camping for next summer for the first time in 7 or 8 years. We really enjoy the comfort of our TM. This coming weekend is our last dog show until Feb. It will be sad to close up our TM for 3 months. It lives in our driveway so I'm sure I will find excuses to open it up and play with it over the winter.
Cheri
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
janthony

Default Honda Ridgeline as a TV?

Lou, I see that you're pulling your 3326 with a Ridgeline. We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey, and are thinking about getting a TM. We're guessing that the 2720 is about the largest TM we can pull with it. We really like the Ridgeline, which would allow us to get a bigger TM. But we weren't sure if a 3326 would be too large even for a Ridgeline. Your thoughts and observations would be welcome.

Others please chime in as well.

JCA
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
2bcs1jrt

We may just do that.
Cheri
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Dixielou

Default Honda Ridgeline as a tow vehicle

JCA, aka janthony

You asked about the Honda Ridgeline truck as a tow vehicle. The short answer is that we love our Ridgeline, both as an every day drive and as a tow vehicle. You can find more information on the Ridgeline by going to Search and typing in Ridgeline. Go to the post titled Questions on towing vehicle/TM model years. Click on Last Page. Here you will find two posts of mine that talk about the Ridgeline as a TV.

If you have further questioins feel free to send me a private e-mail.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
janthony

I read them. Thanks. We really like the Ridgeline. We're still in the 'thinking about it' stage, but it's nice to know there's a TV that's good to tow the largest TM that's also a good daily driver.