TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Buck Mills

Default Best Screws for attaching drawer to floor material

I have made a drawer for the cabinet in my 3124KS. The cabinet is very deep at almost 31 inches. I got a 24 in heavy duty side mount slide and attached the slide to a 1.5 in aluminum angle bracket using pop rivets and then the angle bracket to a 2x2.

SO now I'm ready to put the unit permanently into the cabinet, but what screws will hold best in that material? I have so many screws shaking out of other drawer I'd like to make sure these stay attached.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

You need to have our tires balanced if you are shaking screws loose.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

If you're going to put screws into the floor, you'll need to use well-nuts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-6-...Q5fAccessories

Screws will not hold in that thin aluminum. You may be able to get away with pop-rivets (especially in the floor) but I love those rubber well-nuts. They allow you to use a machine screw and it's easy to take the screw out if you need to. You'd have to drill out the pop-rivets (not that that's a big deal).
Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Buck Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You need to have our tires balanced if you are shaking screws loose.
Its not the tire balance its the rough roads I drive on. Wash boarded colorado dirt roads.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Buck Mills

I'll check out the well nuts, will they work for improving the attachment of the Trailmanor dresser drawer slides to the wall of the camper? The top drawer slide had become detached from the wall in the front dresser of my 3124KS.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Mills View Post
I'll check out the well nuts, will they work for improving the attachment of the Trailmanor dresser drawer slides to the wall of the camper? The top drawer slide had become detached from the wall in the front dresser of my 3124KS.
The well-nuts work great on the walls.

All you do is drill a 1/2" hole in the wall. Stick the well-nut in the hole, then place the item, that you want screwed down, over the well nut. Put a 6/32 screw through the hole, into the brass nut that built into the well-nut and tighten. The rubber expands on the other side of the aluminum panel and seals the whole thing up. It can't pull through.

They are great for mounting shelves or brackets on the walls in the TM.

They were originally designed by GM for mounting roof racks on top of cars, so they are plenty strong. You can even use them for mounting things on the outside of the TM and you don't have to worry about water leaks.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Mccooleys

Default Rubber Well-Nuts

I've found a good source for rubber well-nuts. It's www.toolsource.com. They are a lot less expensive then any other place that I could find. The part number is 57205 for a 25 count 6-32 thread size box. The cost is $4.95 a box. I've used this size with a 6-32 x 3/4 flat head screw with very good results.