TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
Scedergren

Default Remove tub, make big person shower

We recently purchased a new 2720QB. I think I would like to remove the tub and just make it a shower. The shelf on the tub takes up valuable square inches of floor space. I am a large man 6'6" and 225lbs and my wife is not petite. Does anyone have creative suggestions, cautions or warnings for this mod. I realize the electrical box is right there and would have to be water proofed. I would appreciate any input-steve
Scedergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:35 AM   #2
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

That shelf houses the Power Center. All of the cabling in the trailer runs into and through that space, the battery cables, AC cabling etc. It would be an extremely big job to rehome all of that equipment and cabling and I wouldn't suggest it.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:57 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Before you go crazy pulling out the tub, do yourself a HUGE favor and first do the "shower curtain mod" referenced many times on the site. Basically, get a vinyl shower curtain designed for home use, stick (with tape, velcro, etc.) to the 2 folding shower walls, and trim the excess at the bottom to conform to the shape of the tub, but making sure to leave enough for the curtain to extend into the tub.

I seem to recall there are 2, or at least 1 large, polyester shower curtains that come with the TM. But now that you are covering half the shower, you don't need all that curtain. So either remove one (of there are 2) or get a smaller one (if there is only 1), so that you have enough curtain to simply cover the shell wall and the space opening to the bathroom. Put a small piece of velcro on the TP holder, and a matching piece on the polyester shower curtain, to keep the curtain closed.

Just about doubles the shower space. I am 6'3", and it is a FAR more pleasing experience.

Like this: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...9&postcount=14

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:34 AM   #4
Scedergren

TM had done an amazing job of using fractions of inches. Re-homing the electrical is to much. I was more thinking of making a wet shower and sealing the electrical system from the water. I did the shower curtin thing before our first camping trip. That solved the upper body problem. The main issue now is two size 14 feet in the tub allows for almost no movement let alone spreading of the legs to wash and rinse. I knew the TM bath is tight. I love it though. Just trying to think out of the box and make it better.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Are you thinking that you can remove the existing tub, then buy a new tub with the same overall dimensions but no shelf? You probably could do this, since there are a boatload of RV-oriented sink and tub makers. Are you thinking that this would gain some space on the tub floor? Maybe not. The shelf in the tub is not there just for looks or convenience.

Before you take yourself into this mod, I suggest that you remove the brown converter cover in the hallway, then pull out the entire converter. It is probably bigger than you think. Even if you could find some way to put a waterproof box over it, you wouldn't get more than a very few square inches of added floor space, since the converter occupies most of the space under the tub shelf.

While it is out, look at the mass of cables under there. How would you handle them?

And finally, if you pull the tub out, you will have to find some way to handle all the plumbing that is under there. The tub drain, the tub faucets, the outdoor shower, and more. Everything that goes to the gray tank.

As others have said, think this through very carefully before you commit yourself. Removing the existing tub generally requires destroying it. If you need to back out of the plan, a new one is very expensive. And re-installing it once the walls are in place would be a major job.

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:54 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Just saw your new post. Were you thinking of making the entire bathroom a wet bath, as found in many small RVs? That would give you more floor space out on what is now the dry floor of the bathroom, around the toilet and vanity and so forth. That is a different project from what I was envisioning, and will need some more thought.

One problem is that you might have to build up part of the floor to cover the wires and pipes. That would add more problems for your 6'6" height. How about a bubble dome in the roof??? (Just kidding!)

The 2720 series has a rear storage compartment accessible from outside. There is probably a removable panel in the forward wall of this compartment, toward the left. If you remove this panel, you can peek into the under-tub area and get some idea of what you would be getting into.

Bill
Old 01-29-2024, 11:07 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

An unrelated thought. You are a big guy. Does the floor of the tub flex at all under your weight? If so, you would do well to search this Forum for posts about "tub floor flex" or something similar.

Bill
Old 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM   #8
Scedergren

That's why I put the breaks on the project and asked for advice. Just to pull the tub is a major demo. My fantasy was to use the area of the tub and front of the toilet to move around. Basically put in a water proof floor with drain like tile or something. Make a wet bath? I am pretty well convinced now that the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:12 AM   #9
Scedergren

Yes Bill. The area on the left side of the drain does flex. I believe spray foam was the fix for that.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:27 AM   #10
Scedergren

Yes, wet bath... With sky light and overhead fan and 25 gal black tank lol. Wait I just got back from the RV show in Tampa. That was a different trailer. Back to reality. Wet bath with shower curtain between the sink and toilet. Remove the wood work from around the toilet, tile floor or whatever. Or just loose 60 lbs.