TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #21
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Cool

Once I got mine out past the wall paneling a little, I just pushed it to the left to have enough room to get in there. I was actually installing an automatic transfer switch in that rat's nest. It wasn't EZ but I got her done.

That when I used the expanding foam under the tub for reinforcement. I don't think that I could have gotten any styrofoam blocks in there but I thought about it. sorta .... for a few minutes.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #22
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

����. I’ll give the converter removal a go tomorrow. Now that I know that it can actually be done (I was afraid to do much with it when I first pulled it out) I will bring a work lamp in there (dark in the hallway with no lights!) and some expanding foam (I have a can) and see what I can accomplish.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I’ll post an update tomorrow ����
Old 08-24-2023, 05:29 PM   #23
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Can’t get the converter out of the way completely. A PO had cut the 30A power cord short and put a plug on it in order to use a regular free power cord instead of feeding it through the mouse hole. The remaining section of that cord is too short to allow me to move it far. Can get it out far enough to be able to shift enough of the remaining wiring that I can get my arm in a fair distance. Long skinny arms .

Discovered that there is a sheet of styrofoam in there, but it isn’t long enough to completely bridge the channel over the grey tank waste pipe. So when you stand on that rear corner it sinks. Can’t get a picture since I can’t get my phone at the right angle through the wires. But I can feel where the gap is back there.

I can get good enough access to add more styrofoam but couldn’t correct that unsupported spot. I also can’t get a can of spray foam in behind the converter. I do have some tubing that I might be able to use to extend the tube on the can, and maybe that will work.

I think if I slide a couple of supporting pieces of styrofoam on edge along each side of the waste pipe (which I can do) I can slide a thin sheet of something over the gap and then fill the space between the tub and that little “table” with expanding foam without filling the channel around the waste pipe.

That’s tomorrow’s attempt. Now it’s time for supper and a couple of bandaids for my skinned knuckles and forearm.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:30 AM   #24
FlyboyTR

After doing my initial repair as noted in this thread, over time and miles things shifted and my soft spot returned. Wavery's suggestion about using the expanding foam was a good suggestion. Except....

I had concerns about being able to remove the tub (if the need ever arose) because the expanding foam would have to be cut before the tub could be pulled. This was my solution...

I add a length of vinyl hose to the spray foam spout. I went in through the bottom/floor vent. I then inserted the hose into a lightweight garbage bag and then worked the bag into the area where I wanted to foam. Once satisfied with the bag placement, I then started spraying the foam. The bag expanded around the areas I needed. I did sort of pull the hose a bit and added more foam as needed until I was satisfied. After curing, I removed the excess bag.

I didn't remove any of the extra foam that had expanded beyond my intended target. Since the vent was still about 60% clear...I didn't worry about it. In hindsight, I wish I had used a smaller bag. BUT...things are solid and I have no worries about the foam being stuck to everything should service ever be needed.

Travis
Old 08-25-2023, 09:31 AM   #25
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Great idea Travis. Probably 1 or even 2, 1-gallon Ziplock bags would do it.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #26
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
After doing my initial repair as noted in this thread, over time and miles things shifted and my soft spot returned. Wavery's suggestion about using the expanding foam was a good suggestion. Except....

I had concerns about being able to remove the tub (if the need ever arose) because the expanding foam would have to be cut before the tub could be pulled. This was my solution...

I add a length of vinyl hose to the spray foam spout. I went in through the bottom/floor vent. I then inserted the hose into a lightweight garbage bag and then worked the bag into the area where I wanted to foam. Once satisfied with the bag placement, I then started spraying the foam. The bag expanded around the areas I needed. I did sort of pull the hose a bit and added more foam as needed until I was satisfied. After curing, I removed the excess bag.

I didn't remove any of the extra foam that had expanded beyond my intended target. Since the vent was still about 60% clear...I didn't worry about it. In hindsight, I wish I had used a smaller bag. BUT...things are solid and I have no worries about the foam being stuck to everything should service ever be needed.

Travis
Excellent idea Travis. I was looking at that channel through the vent and thinking how easy it would be to just slide a tube in there and fill the gap from that direction. But how to block the foam from getting all over behind the converter.... Your idea covers all the bases!

I actually happen to have a couple of nice long bread bags that would probably do the job nicely. Figure I can double bag and that should ensure no leaks into unwanted spaces, or keep them to a minimum. And keep the foam from spewing into the space behind the converter. Should slide into that channel fairly easily and won't be too wide plus support the tub over the entire length of the channel.

The rest of the tub is actually pretty well supported... just that bit at the back corner where the existing styrofoam sheet isn't supported over the channel is really flexy. Will allow the tub and waste pipe to be dealt with should the time ever arise (of course hoping that never happens ) Off to the trailer shortly. "News at 11"
Old 08-25-2023, 11:33 AM   #27
FlyboyTR

Thanks. The bread bags should work. I used a low/medium expanding foam and went slow. If the outside shower panel was removed that would make things much easier, but I did mine strictly from underneath.

Wavery... The zip lock bags would work well also! Thanks!
Old 08-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #28
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Great idea Travis. Probably 1 or even 2, 1-gallon Ziplock bags would do it.
Good thought Wavery…. I’m going to bring a couple of ziplocks as well. Might be easier to slide into place and a lot tougher than bread bags, especially the freezer bags…. I have many many ziplocks!
Old 08-25-2023, 03:30 PM   #29
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Got a small sandwich sized freezer ziplock under the soft corner from the converter (vent) end. Couldn't get anything in there from the bottom. The supporting styrofoam is really pretty solid everywhere except that rear corner.
Slipped a length of vinyl tubing into the bag and zipped it mostly closed. Slid the baggie under the corner, attached the tubing to the nozzle of my foam and slowly filled the bag. Stopped when it was approaching the zip of the bag. Carefully backed the tube out of the bag (with my gloves on Wavery ) and managed not to get foam on anything, including myself.
Foam continued to expand for a few minutes, creeping out of the opening in the zipper, but slowly and doesn't appear to have touched anything that it shouldn't.
I'll go back tomorrow after it has had some time to cure and test it. I imagine being contained in a plastic bag will slow the cure time down considerably. Likely won't bother trying to remove any of the excess. Let sleeping dogs lie!
Thanks to Travis for the bag idea, and Wavery for the ziplock tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7580.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	22490  
Old 08-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #30
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Got a small sandwich sized freezer ziplock under the soft corner from the converter (vent) end. Couldn't get anything in there from the bottom. The supporting styrofoam is really pretty solid everywhere except that rear corner.
Slipped a length of vinyl tubing into the bag and zipped it mostly closed. Slid the baggie under the corner, attached the tubing to the nozzle of my foam and slowly filled the bag. Stopped when it was approaching the zip of the bag. Carefully backed the tube out of the bag (with my gloves on Wavery ) and managed not to get foam on anything, including myself.
Foam continued to expand for a few minutes, creeping out of the opening in the zipper, but slowly and doesn't appear to have touched anything that it shouldn't.
I'll go back tomorrow after it has had some time to cure and test it. I imagine being contained in a plastic bag will slow the cure time down considerably. Likely won't bother trying to remove any of the excess. Let sleeping dogs lie!
Thanks to Travis for the bag idea, and Wavery for the ziplock tip.
My pleasure...! It sounds like you did a great job. Also, great job explaining what you did. We'll be looking for an update after it has cured.

Also...and FYI... Acetone will instantly dissolve the expanding foam WHILE IT IS WET. Every time I do something with expanding foam, I always have my acetone container close by. As soon as you're finished, remove the spout and you can pour it or squirt it through the delivery tube and it instantly dissolves the wet foam. Also pour/squirt some on the top of the can to clean the valve. Once it starts to set...the acetone will do nothing! So plan ahead and work fast!

Tags
soft spot in tub, tub floor, tub floor flex