TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #41
kikeehn

Default Tpms

Padgett, the distance you measure is from where the monitor is positioned and the last wheel sensor on the TM. According to the spec's on my system, as long as it less than 53 ft. no booster should be needed,
I have been able to sit in my living room which is about 25 to 30 ft. from the right front wheel sensor, and receive a signal from all the sensors on the car.
So it seems I won't need a booster.
kikeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #42
Wingedryder

Smile Tpms

Seems this topic has brought on more discussion than imagined!

My TireMinder TPMS is a model "TM66" which supersedes a model "TMG400-4B or -6" (corresponding to whichever number of sensors you've originally pur'd). Have noticed the older models available online for slightly reduced prices. Additional sensors are available for either aluminum or brass stems.

Again, I'm not hazarding a guess as to which TPMS brand is best, I'm just indicating MY unit's features. It can be charged by either 12v cigarette lighter socket OR USB cord (though, as Padgett suggests, charging the monitor by USB takes approx. 16 rather v. about 8 hrs., as I believe the instructions indicate).

On a further note, ea. sensor comes w/a button battery AND a spare (2 for ea sensor). The mfr. will keep you in batteries for 4 yrs. whenever you send them expired ones). I like this, the fact that they do not require metal valve stems, and because they are supposedly smaller & lighter than some others, don't require you to re-balance your tires (though I like to err on the side of caution, and will re-balance my 2 TM tires). The instructions indicate that the signal can reach a max of up to 60' or so, however, they are reluctant to say at what distance a booster is actually needed. They indicate that vehicles with lots of wireless electronics can also disrupt the signal (my new TV w/Bluetooth, entertainment remotes w/wireless headphones, etc., probably qualifies). Bottom line, they recommend using the provided booster, in any case, to avoid any malfunction. The kit has a 1-yr wnty, but I pur'd the add. 3-yr. wnty that Camping World offers, so I didn't scrimp.

Again, think I'll try w/o booster first. Then, if needed, attached near my elec tongue lift on the TM w/some easy barrel type connectors snaked to the battery inside - located in below my street side dinette bench.

Whatever brand one chooses, I think it's a worthwhile safety measure for the TM!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #43
kikeehn

Default Tpms

Wingeddryer
I agree with you and that is one is as good as another. One of the main differences is that with the TM66 you need to use either there Aluminum or brass sensors depending on what kind of valve stems you have, and I was told by Tire Minder that this was because of corrosion because of dissimilar metals. With the Eez T515 you use Anti Seize Thread lubricant before you attach the sensors, so you don't need special sensors.
Tire Minder does say if you have aluminum tire valves you can call them and the'll exchange the brass sensors for the Aluminum ones for free, since the TM66 comes with Brass Sensors.
Finally the reason I didn't go with the TM66 is because you can only purchase them from Camping World and I've had some bad experiences with my local CW here in Mesa Az.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #44
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Will probably buy when I find one that is right:
- replacable sensor battery
- read to 80 psi
- display all pressures and temperatures at same time (only need 2)
- co-exist with other wireless thingies
- display on tablet via wifi a plus.

am a little concerned about temp reading: at rim is not the same as at tread though suspect more looking for change.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #45
kikeehn

Default Tpms

Padgett,
Let's see I'll try and answer your concerns as best as I can.
First and probably most important go to the TPMS web sites and download their instruction manuals, and read them. The three companies that I noticed that are well reviewed are EezRvProducts, Tire Minder, and TST.
The ones I mentioned above read PSI's well above 100, because they also have to be used in Motor Homes.
As far as I know all the ones mentioned above read the temp. of the air inside of the tire, not the rim temp.
Reading the PSI is done by scanning and displaying one tire at a time.
They will co-exist with other wireless thingies as you call them.( that's why in some applications you may need a booster.).
They all have replaceable sensor batteries.
None that I looked at have user replaceable batteries in the monitor.
And finally most will read and monitor up to 22 tires.

I picked mine because it had the largest monitor screen,
Not only does it give an audible warning but it also shows in plain text the problem ( Others use Icons because their screen are to small to display text)
I can set the High and Low Pressure Parameters, I think the Tire Minders have them pre programmed.

Like I said earlier go to the various sites and download their manuals and read them as well as the reviews.
Hope this helps.
Would I recommend the T515 by EezTire yes, but that's my preference based on my needs and only on my needs.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #46
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

sounds like a very nice unit with the plain text feature.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #47
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default TST two-sensor system $143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
LeSherp -

Thanks for the link to the two-sensor unit. That TST page contains virtually no information - no model number, no link to the Users Manual. I have written to TST to ask for these things. I'll report back when I hear from them.

Bill
After a week of emailing back and forth to TST (in which they basically ignored the questions I asked, but answered questions I didn't ask), I finally got the definitive answer.

They will sell me a 2-sensor 507 system, including shipping and a 3-year warranty, for $143. Despite the link that LeSherp provided, they consider this a special item, and so it must be ordered by phone. Call
Debbie Fields
Operations Manager
Phone: 770-889-9102

This sounds to me like a rather good price. I am not going to worry about a sensor for the spare tire, thinking that it is not loaded and is safely hidden from road hazards. In all the years I've owned a TM, I've had lots of failures of tires on the pavement, but never a problem with a spare.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #48
kikeehn

Default Tpms

Bill,
Good luck and keep us posted. The system I got from Eeztire is working great.
About 15 minutes before I leave the house, I turn the system on and in about 4-5 minutes it's reading all sensors, now remember I'm doing all this from inside the house, with the monitor being 30 ft from the car.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #49
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
After a week of emailing back and forth to TST (in which they basically ignored the questions I asked, but answered questions I didn't ask), I finally got the definitive answer.

They will sell me a 2-sensor 507 system, including shipping and a 3-year warranty, for $143. Despite the link that LeSherp provided, they consider this a special item, and so it must be ordered by phone. Call
Debbie Fields
Operations Manager
Phone: 770-889-9102

This sounds to me like a rather good price. I am not going to worry about a sensor for the spare tire, thinking that it is not loaded and is safely hidden from road hazards. In all the years I've owned a TM, I've had lots of failures of tires on the pavement, but never a problem with a spare.

Bill
Thanks for the research, Bill. I've been wanting a good system for a reasonable price.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #50
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Yes you could use an inline fuse to power it up and down.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote