TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Cassette Toilet

Just got back from a 4 1/2 day outing and had the first chance to really test the Trailmanor installed cassette toilet in out 2922KD. Worked extremely well for us. The rotating "bowl" is very convenient. The plumbed water supply eliminates adding water. It's visually more appealing that circulating brown water and it may be more odor free. We got two to three days before we had to dump the cassette, but very quick and easy to do. Much easier than the modified tote and short hose "cassette" I jury rigged for the recirculating toilet.
I give it a big "thumbs up" for our style of camping.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
MT Camper

I had a cassette in my pop up and it was much better than the current TM toilet. I was wondering just how this is installed. Do you have an outside access to remove the black tank? I thought I read that somewhere. That would be ideal and would make me want to make a change down the road. I don't know what the rotating bowl is that you mentioned?

Thanks, in advance for the info.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

The cassette is accessed from the outside of the TM. I like the design. Had it in our 2417 Sport, and have it in our 2417KD. Don't have to find a dump site, as it can be removed, and taken to any toilet facility, whether vault toilet, or flush facilities. I imagine it can also be dumped in a normal RV dump. I will explore that potential this weekend, as we will have one available to us at the campground we are going to (have to go to a wedding, so DW wants full hookups for blowdrier and curling iron).
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

+1 on the cassette toilet, MT Camper. If you find that the cassette can't be retrofitted into your TM, the Thetford Curve will work for you. Only difference is the sealed tank is taken out of the bathroom, not slid out from the outside. Dumping the Curve is just as easy. You also have to fill the water tank using the shower hose, much like the recirculating model. The removal and retrofit takes about 4 to 6 hours. Bill posted the Electomagic removal instructions that I followed. Very easy.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
cbossc

Smile

MarkoPolo,
Thanks for the update/review of the Cassette. We are getting ready to purchase a 2922KD or 3124KD and figured the cassette is the way to go after reading all the toilet reviews on this forum. Could you post a picture of it in the bathroom? I've seen the pics on the TM website and Thetford website, but was curious to see how in looks in the TM bathroom.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Marko, was the cassette toilet, the one with outside access in the OP, installed at the factory or did you do it after market?
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I finally had it with the re-circ toilet on the Memorial Day weekend camping. The smell showed up on Sunday and I had another day to go. I also got tired of dealing with the pile that forms after a few days making it difficult to flush subsequent #2's. I said "that's it, I had it and buying the curve".

Adventure RV had it for $118 plus something like $32 for the mounting plate.

Using Bill's toilet removal instructions helped greatly. The one handicap I had was that one of the white nylon mounting clips had the 90 degree lip half broken off from when the factory installed the toilet. But after 15 or so attempts to hook it, I finally got it and pulled the stinker out.

I decided to forgo the deck spacer some have done with their installations. I decided to completely remove my black pipe plumbing, valve and all. On my model year, the factory did not join the black and gray water pipes. There is a code now where the two systems must be separate. I filled the hole with spray foam and obviously used too much. But I used duct tape over the hole after I sprayed the cavity then proceeded to mount the curve deck plate.

I used the camper last weekend and I LOVE it! The curve flushes nice and dumping it was far, far easier than lifting and handling a 10 gallon tote.

In my opinion, the TrailManor company should consider either the Thetford cassette (which I loved on my Coleman tent camper) or install the Curve.

I am cleaning the removed toilet and will consider offering it for parts to forum members.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

The cassette is factory installed, removed from the outside by unlocking and opening a door. I have photos of it at home that I will try to post some tonight. I don't have the exact numbers, but it does not hold as much fluid as the recirculating toilet, but it is so easy to empty that's not a big issue. BTW I did empty it once at the RV dump. Just step on the foot control and pour it in.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Here are some photos of the Thetford cassette toilet, which holds about 4 gallons. The swivel feature is more useful than I first supposed. It allows extra room when not in use and a slight angle is helpful when using it for serious work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5270.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	9988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5271.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	9989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5272.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	9990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	9991  
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
cbossc

Mark,
Thanks so much for the pics. I'm surprised, as the pic of the cassette on the TM website is different (see pic below). But, I like your model better. I was wondering how the one on the TM website could fit in the bathroom, it looked much too large.

Name:  product_cassette402C1-255x300.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  8.5 KB