TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
daveinfl

Default Winter Camping

I know many of you have done winter camping. With as many TrailManors as their are in Colorado, maybe you have some good advice.

We are taking our 2619 to Virginia next week. Depending on the weather, we may take it on to Toldedo, Ohio after Christmas for a few days. My TV is ready for the trip with a fresh service and new tires. But my 2619 I'm feeling is not fully prepared. I was hoping to find a thread on Winter Camping. Might be a suggestion for the future.

Here are a couple questions.

1. Should I travel with the water tank full or empty? Where we are stopping we will have shore power and water.
2. The toilet I know will need antifreeze. Do you use the antifreeze and other chemicals at the same time?
3. I have purchased noodles to go around the beds as suggested to reduce drafts. Should I look anywhere else for drafts? Oh, I also added some insulation around the plumbing.
4. I see they sell foam inserts for the roof vents. Are they really needed .... or is it good to have a little air flow?
5. When driving into cold weather should tire pressure on the 2619 be increased, decreased or exactly what it says on the tire wall?
6. Will the weight of snow cause any serious problems?

This is our first adventure into cold. So any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
rumbleweed

I recommend draining and blowing out the water lines as if winterizing and not using them during the trip. There is virtually no way to insulate all the lines and once pressurized, there will be water in places you can not protect. Carry water in water jugs and heat what you need on the stove. You should not raise or lower the TM with any accumulation of snow as it could cause a problem. We use a thing insulating pad under the mattress on the bed we sleep in as moisture from your warm bodies will penetrate the mattress and condense in the cooler bed shelf. This will eventually cause mold. We use 2 ceramic heaters to keep the chill off at night and cut down on the noise of the furnace. Recommend you run a heavy duty power cord through one of the flap seals to run one to prevent tripping TM breakers. Carry a snow rake or extension handle broom in case you get snow on the roof when set up as it will close down too hard if not removed. Check the tires before you leave as the pressure may have dropped , but I suggest you run them at recommended pressure, they will warm up.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
I know many of you have done winter camping. With as many TrailManors as their are in Colorado, maybe you have some good advice.

Here are a couple questions.

1. Should I travel with the water tank full or empty? Where we are stopping we will have shore power and water.
2. The toilet I know will need antifreeze. Do you use the antifreeze and other chemicals at the same time?
3. I have purchased noodles to go around the beds as suggested to reduce drafts. Should I look anywhere else for drafts? Oh, I also added some insulation around the plumbing.
4. I see they sell foam inserts for the roof vents. Are they really needed .... or is it good to have a little air flow?
5. When driving into cold weather should tire pressure on the 2619 be increased, decreased or exactly what it says on the tire wall?
6. Will the weight of snow cause any serious problems?

This is our first adventure into cold. So any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Hi Dave--with shore power, your "winter camping" is pretty mild. Rumbleweed's advice on water is best since it sounds like you'll be at full-service campgrounds. Don't rely on the low point drains to do the job. I use water/shower in all temps but I'm set up for it.

Use RV anti-freeze plus your regular toilet chems. Put a splash of anti-f in all the drains each evening, especially the shower, it will also protect the grey tank so you can put dish water etc in there without worry.

I insulate my vents to stop condensation drip, but I think you should try without and see.

I camp with an 8-foot section of an extension ladder in case it snows, and a Shuttsco snow rake. If the TM is up when it snows, you gotta remove all the snow to fold down, at least from the back section. If the TM is down when it snows, you can't raise it, and it doesn't take much. Otherwise, I've slept right thru 2-1/2 feet of snow on the roof.

Don't change tire pressure.

Fun adventure!

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Check out this thread on winter camping by Mr Geek: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...r+camping+utah

There are also several others on the forums. A search should bring them up.
I used "winter camping in utah" and brought up quite a few.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
moaboy

Wayne, u had 2.5 feet of snow on the roof and no problems?
That's good to hear.