TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Debbie

Default Emptying toilet

When emptying the Thetford toilet via the black water valve at a dump station, is there anyway to rinse the toilet out without opening the unit?
Thanks
Debbie
2010 Trail Mini
2004 Honda Odyssey
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
terryh

The short answer: no (at least with a 2720SL).
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes. You can use this device:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ush-king/20522
http://www.flushking.com/

...to fill up the toilet from the dump valve outside by the wheel. There is a gate valve on the device (shown in the pic) between where the hose connects and the dump station, so as long as you have some sort of water pressure, you can fill up the toilet till your heart's content. However, you just have to be careful you don't put in too much water, as otherwise you will have a brown flood in your TM. Obviously that would be very, very bad. You can just time how long it takes for a hose to fill up a bucket of known volume to get an idea of how long you should fill it up. Note that you need to put in a gallon to fill the ABS drain pipe before the water even enters the toilet. After that, the toilet capacity is 6 gallons.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Yes. You can use this device:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ush-king/20522
http://www.flushking.com/

...to fill up the toilet from the dump valve outside by the wheel. There is a gate valve on the device (shown in the pic) between where the hose connects and the dump station, so as long as you have some sort of water pressure, you can fill up the toilet till your heart's content. However, you just have to be careful you don't put in too much water, as otherwise you will have a brown flood in your TM. Obviously that would be very, very bad. You can just time how long it takes for a hose to fill up a bucket of known volume to get an idea of how long you should fill it up. Note that you need to put in a gallon to fill the ABS drain pipe before the water even enters the toilet. After that, the toilet capacity is 6 gallons.

Dave
I use 75 seconds and haven't had a problem yet. I timed it at home one time and it took 100 seconds (approx 4G per minute). I feel comfortable with 75 seconds. At 5G per minute (which would be extreme) 75 seconds is still ~6 gallons. My toilet does not overflow until after 7 gallons. You may want to check that at home sometime. The toilet basin will totally fill (on my toilet) before the toilet overflows.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I use 75 seconds and haven't had a problem yet. I timed it at home one time and it took 100 seconds (approx 4G per minute). I feel comfortable with 75 seconds. At 5G per minute (which would be extreme) 75 seconds is still ~6 gallons. My toilet does not overflow until after 7 gallons. You may want to check that at home sometime. The toilet basin will totally fill (on my toilet) before the toilet overflows.
How much of this depends on water pressure?

In an RV park it seems that the pressure is around 30 to 40 psi.

At home I have a little over 90 psi, unless I go find a spigot that is after the pressure regulator.

All of my hoses that are long enough are 3/4 inch hoses. I can spray water a bit over 100 feet.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
brulaz

So you guys use this device and recommend it?

I was wondering how well it worked. We've had issues with the tank sensors mis-reading, and the only way to get them working again has been a very thorough and time-consuming flush, currently using the pump and water from inside the trailer.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I learned about the device from harveyrv awhile back where this issue was discussed in another thread and have used it maybe 10 times. Unfortunately, alot of dump stations that I go to don't have pressurized water, or don't have a threaded connector on the end of the hose. The latter is required to hook onto the Flush King.

But when I do use it, I have to rinse maybe twice before the water comes out clean, so I have to think it helps, and it certainly is at least better than using nothing at all, which is what I was using before. I know that waste remains in the toilet after dumping without using it, so hopefully that is greatly reduced.

Dave
Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Scott O

Seems to me that it doesn't matter where the water comes from when dumping/cleaning the Thetford. Doesn't matter whether the water is added from the top or bottom. I have done it both ways, and using the Flush King is far superior IF the dump station has a threaded hose or you can swap the existing hose temporarily for your hose. It just fills the Thetford much faster. The Flush King is now my device of choice. I think if I was timing how long it takes to fill the Thetford tank, I would use a pressure regulator on the hose to try and get the pressure as constant as possible in various locations.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I think if I was timing how long it takes to fill the Thetford tank, I would use a pressure regulator on the hose to try and get the pressure as constant as possible in various locations.
That's a great idea. I was focusing on measuring volume, and came across this meter, which has hose connections on both ends:

http://www.jerman.com/hosemeter.html

...but I was having a tough time swallowing the $90 to clean the toilet, and then I was going to have to lug the thing around. I think the regulator idea is much better.

Dave
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
LiveTicker

Another solution:

You can have a MEASURED portion in your toilet. Pressurized water and timing not needed. Overfill not possible.

Add a (male) hose connection to a water jug. Connect a short hose between Flush King and jug. Lift jug above toilet level and open Flush King valve.
If your jug is less than the 6-8 gallons to fill the toilet+hose+pipe then just repeat X times. (Smaller jugs are lighter).

Of course you will want to test first with TM opened to see the bowl level and mark your jug level for the final fill with a permanent marker.

It looks like you could pour soap (or nice smelling stuff) into Flush King hose connector (after dumping toilet) which will take it up into toilet when adding the fresh water.

If you are done camping then the jugs of clean water could be filled from the TM drains using your leftover water.

EDIT- Here is way to NOT bother with modifying the jug.:
Many jugs have a valve attached and a small spout. You could just set your jug on top of the closed camper.
Then connect one end of hose to Flush King and simply hold the other end of the hose under the jug spout.