TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Backup cameras – info

Recently, I saw some posts here about TMers who were trying to come up with a way to put a backup camera on their TM. I have a backup camera on my TV (Ford 150) and use it all the time when not towing, but I confess that my DW with a walkie talkie seems to beat anything I might get out of a camera at the end of my trailer – jmho.

In any case, I ran across this website entitled “Backup Camera Reviews” which might have some information, prices, and reviews for those who are looking into these things. Someone who is skilled in wiring could probably figure out how to do any special wiring that might be required to bring the picture from the trailer, but a wireless camera might be even better. Here’s one description from the website:

VR3 VRBCS300W - This is an affordable wireless backup camera that promises a clear rear view all the time regardless of the weather condition. It’s fairly easy to install as you don’t need to drill holes in your vehicle and since it is a wireless unit, you don’t have to hook it up to your rear lights. The monitor has controls as well for brightness and contrast

Hmmmm – might change my mind on the need for one.
Today’s news has mention that Government will require that all new cars have backup cameras within two years.

The website is located at
http://backupcamerareviews.com/
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The manufacturer has discontinued this unit, but some are still available. However, I think the review has gotten a bit over-enthusiastic. Although these units are wireless, in the sense that they do not require a cable from the camera to the monitor, they still require a source of power. For use as a backup camera, they can be wired into the backup lights. For use as a full-time rear-view monitor, they can be wired into the running lights, which you must turn on while you are on the road.

One problem that has recurred with these cameras is that the low power transmitter often cannot get a signal to the monitor from the back of the TM, especially since the camera is mounted low-down behind the metal shield of the TM body. If you plan to get one, I would suggest you ensure that you can return it if it doesn't work.

My two cents only ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Thanks Bill, I always appreciate good advice. Although I find the topic interesting, and I like to share info when I find it, my list of other needs for the TM is still too long. In the mean time, perhaps they will improve on the concept.

For now, I guess I will just stick to having my DW telling what to do. She's pretty well practiced in that art - grin.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
TravlinOn

Default Backup cameras - info

Santa is still leaving a new backup camera off his list for me but it is still an interesting topic for me. I found some new discussion over at Good Sam's forum. Some posters there have noted success and are happy with their cameras ; others seem to think that good drivers don't need any such devices. Good discussion. Be sure to read the 2nd page in the link, too; it is the more recent posts. (note: TinyURL was used for the link because the actual link is 96 characters long!)

http://tinyurl.com/3xhdq3t
Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I've had a rear view camera for over a year now. It's a cute toy but little more than that. IMHO, it should not be used as a backing aid on the back of a trailer. There is no substitute for a good pair of eyes.

Where I do find it handy (on the back of my truck) is backing out of a parking space in a store parking lot. It's nice to be able to see if there is a small person standing right behind my truck that I can't see in my mirrors.

If you do get one, I recommend the 7" monitor. Those small monitors are a joke IMO.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
ng2951

Unle$$ you get a really good one most of them are way too grainy to be valuable.

It would be nice if there was one that used two cameras mounted at the edge of the trailer and put it together as a single image. That way you could check your clearance on both sides at once.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Unle$$ you get a really good one most of them are way too grainy to be valuable.

It would be nice if there was one that used two cameras mounted at the edge of the trailer and put it together as a single image. That way you could check your clearance on both sides at once.
I believe I have what you want setup in my company truck.

I have 4 cameras: Front, Driver Side, Passenger Side & Rear. The Monitor I have can have all 4 Cameras on screen: Driver on one side, Front & rear in middle & Passenger on Right side or just two cameras: Driver & Passenger or Front & Rear.

The Monitor is a brand new not even in full production yet & has many features not found on my previous monitor.

My system is also Recorded 24-7 & has helped me with a fender bender.

If it wasn't so cold I would take some pics but if interested I will add to my list of things to do.

Side Note: I can almost Drive with windshield blacked out the way my cameras are setup.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I have absolutely no experience with this but i am curious.

I just noticed that Advance Auto Parts is selling the Peak 2.4-Inch Wireless Backup Camera System for $59.99.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Santa is still leaving a new backup camera off his list for me but it is still an interesting topic for me. I found some new discussion over at Good Sam's forum. Some posters there have noted success and are happy with their cameras ; others seem to think that good drivers don't need any such devices. Good discussion. Be sure to read the 2nd page in the link, too; it is the more recent posts. (note: TinyURL was used for the link because the actual link is 96 characters long!)

http://tinyurl.com/3xhdq3t
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have a 3.5" monitor built into my rear view mirror. When the monitor is off, it looks like a regular mirror. While one could always use a larger screen, I love it -- in fact, I specifically put it in. The only negative is that tt gets washed out when exposed to direct sun. I can hitch up the TM by myself on the first shot, but most importantly, I use it in addition to all the other viewing aids I used before putting it in. The view out the back of my TV is horrible -- it might as well be a box truck, and the camera has saved my skin in parking lots a number of times. The camera view spans nearly the entire width of the vehicle, and at the bottom of the screen is the bumper's edge, so I can park within an inch of something with ease.

Incidentally, I believe rear view cameras will be required in all vehicles by 2014. I'm not sure that's a good idea, as my guess is people will heavily rely on them instead of looking out their windows and mirrors.

A forum member here, Lars, put a backup camera on the rear of his TM. You can read about it here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8526

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I have never understood the value of a rear camera, especially for hooking up the TM to the TV, as long as it is close to being a straight line approach.

What I do is:

1. align the center of my rear window with the center of the tailgate with the TM seam in the middle of the roof.

2. backup until I softly touch the TM to the TV.

3. from experience I know to pull forward about 5 inches. I open the driver door and hold my head very stiffly. I sight down to mark a spot on the ground that is just visible along the bottom edge of the door. This allows me to rather accurately pull forward the desired distance.

4. I get out to look at my position. I am almost always dead straight, or darn close to it. I just need to fine tune forward versus backwards about an inch.

5. Move forward or backward that distance.

6. lower the TM onto the TV.

If I have someone to help me then they can tell me when to stop, saving me a trip to walk back to the hitch.

On a rare occasion I have to get out of the truck twice.

If I have to connect at a sharp angle, due to campground pad angles of approach then it takes a few more tries.

Maybe it is only this easy in a truck. I can see that if the center seam of the TM roof is not visible then a camera would be helpful.

It is even easier in my other, newer truck, with the backup sensor. When the light turns red it is time to stop and go take a look.