TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Bought parts for the "extension". Will use aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmark View Post
IF the equipment is available, could the spare be loaded to the TM in the 1/2 inflated configuration, then, after raising the carrier bar, be inflated to "full-up" with a 12v or 120v compressor.
Mark
Yes, that would work. But I wouldn't like to be on the side of the road for ANY longer than necessary. I've packed the trailer away for several weeks, but I'll be doing my "stretch out the street-side hanger" fix on the day before the next trip. Although the "fix" is obvious, I'll again post pictures.

I've already bought parts, here's what I chose:

aluminum flat bar, 1/8" x 2" wide x 36" long. I will cut this into 4 pieces of equal size, so that each "extension" is built using a piece of aluminum on both sides of the original steel. Length TBD.

4 each, although MAYBE I'll upgrade to eight each: stainless hex cap screws, 5/16 x 1". lockwashers and nuts to match.

If built with only 4 bolts, there's only one bolt on each connection between aluminum "extension" and original steel. But stainless is really strong, I feel that the (small) 5/16 bolt is a better choice than moving up to 3/8" bolts because the bigger hole would weaken the aluminum bars.
- - - - -

If I can borrow a good rotary cutting tool from a neighbor, the whole job will take about 10 minutes (plus waiting for paint on the cut steel ends to dry). If I have to hacksaw the TM bar, twice, it's slower. Multiple beers.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default BTW, those stainless steel screws from "big box store" are VERY WEAK.

I started torquing the first one up, and the 5/16" bolt snapped at barely 45 ft-lbs.

So I upgraded to bigger bolts/lockwashers/nuts.