TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Door Frame Misalignment

The door on our '07 2720sl has always been hard to close.
You have to push or pull very hard to get the door bolts to engage in the frame channel. I thought that this was due to foam insulation strips that needed to be compressed for the door to make a tight seal but it appears that the lower, left side, hinged door frame (that swings out) was not aligned correctly.

Hopefully, you can see from my 2 photos that it doesn't have the same reveal (edge alignment) at the top and bottom of the lower door frame. This causes the door to first hit at the bottom of the frame and requires that door be almost deflected in to engage the locking mechanism.

So, if I attempt to realign the left side, hinged door frame (that is secured to the exterior wall) by redrilling holes and correcting it to vertical --- some of the new holes may slightly overlap the old holes. While the metal frame is heavier gauge than sheet metal --- do you think that overlapping holes will prevent the hinged door frame from being properly secured ?

I was going to buy fine threaded sheet metal screws for this job hoping that the extra threads would provide enough extra "grab" to offset any contact loss from overlapping holes.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Door Frame 2_320x240.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2952   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Door Frame 1_320x240.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2953