TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
saltamonte

Default Tempur-Pedic Mattress Installed

I ordered a custom cut Tempur-Pedic mattress for my 2007 2720SL and recently installed it in my unit. I was worried about the unit closing properly and the factory guy couldn't give much advice.

I had it cut to 60 x 77 inches length and width and 6 inches thick. The fit is great although it does close a bit tight. TrailManor told me that the clearance for each unit is slightly different, but the mattress compresses well enough on the sides to let me close it without problem.

The only problem is the cost. The mattress costs $1500 and the customizing and shipping was another $600. Nevertheless, I'll sleep well and it sure beats what came with the unit.

I thought I'd make a posting as someone probably has thought of doing the same thing. TM asked for a call back, as they expressed interest in how things worked out.

Dan

2007 2720SL
Duel Batteries
Electric Stabilizers
Surge Protector & Autoformer
2002 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
Prodigy Brake Controller
Supercharged Engine
Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
DenandSue

Thanks for the info - we too have been thinking about putting in a Temper-Pedic. Currently, we have a 2" thick inflatable mattress on top of what came with the TM. It's a lot better, but have to inflate and deflate as the TM won't close with it inflated. Was surprised that at the cost however ---- a little rich for me right now
Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
BobRederick

I put 1.5" of memory foam on top of the OEM. Got it from www.overstock.com for about $70. Everyone who has tried it loves it and I am really pleased with it. The top hits it when closing, but there are no problems from it. I have to take the bedroll off (Travasak). I roll it up and place it on the dinette.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
all4camping

ditto, Bob. I have 2" from overstock.com and it's VERY cozy and comfortable. I use a queen coleman sleeping bag with sheets inside make and attached like the traversak (it gives more room when using body pillows for the old back, etc.). I roll the sleeping bag up and store in the tub for travel.

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
fishpondwest

The same here Bob.
1 and 1/2 memory foam mattress from Sam's Club and a travesack. Have to remove the travasack in order to close, but otherwise it works great.
Dan
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
cmc211

The only thing to watch is once I had one of those eggcrate foam mattresses on top of my mattress and I closed our camper for about 3 months when I opened it the ceiling had some mold on it. I guess the egg crate foam asorbed some moisture and it touched the roof when closed so i don't think any air ventilated in that area. Dave
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
RollingStones

Default Mattress Pads

hello everyone,
Haven't posted in awhile. Been enjoying our 02 2619 immensely since we purchased last April.
We're wondering about one of those memory foam pads for our bed, like the ones they sell at Costco. If you keep it on the bed when it folds down:
1. Does the TM close propery?
2. Will it ruin the mattress by squishing it down, like a down sleeping bag that gets folded tight and then goes flat?

Appreciate the feedback,
Kristin
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Chuck C C

Kristin,

We take the memory foam off the mattress and fold it on the couch before closing. We have the 2" foam and the TM won't close without undue force. The memory foam makes for a comfortable night's sleep at a very reasonable price.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
DenandSue

To those who already have the 2" memory foam - have a question.

What do you think about taking out the original TM mattress and putting in 2 of the 2" memory foam pads? This would give back the original 4" thickness so that bedding wouldn't have to be removed to close the TM.

Dennis
Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
KSBASS

DenandSue

I tried the 2 x 2" trick already. Actually I tried it with a solid 4" topper that we have on our guest bed. This is a premium topper that is wonderful on top of our rock-hard guest queen mattress. We flopped it on the hardwood floor in the bedroom and tried it out. We're not large people by any means, but we sank to the floor. Not firm enough. You really need the firmer foam underneath in my experience. I went with the 2" california king topper from Overstock.com. I trimmed it for a perfect fit. Vastly improved my sleep.

The TM closes tightly now. I also just discovered a possible problem. I went out into the TM last week which is stored open. It was 18 degrees in there. I happened to notice the topper was hard as a rock! It is afterall, temperature reactive foam! There is no way I could have shut down the TM with that topper in place. Just something to consider for you cold weather winter camper bears!

Anyone else really itching to take out the TM? We went to a bluegrass festival a couple weeks ago in Lawrence. Stayed in the Holiday Inn. Just not the same!

Grins!
Troy