TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
hingarfi

Default 2004 Roof AC -- recharge?

My AC seems to be not cooling as well as it used to. Are these units like a car AC which may need to be recharged? If refrigerant loss is possible, (not sealed like a kitchen refrigerator) I would appreciate comments/ideas from anyone as to what is involved to recharge the unit. I do own the dual AC gages used on home AC units.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bert -

You need to visit the manufacturer's web site. There is a ton of good info, including maintence, service, and repair manuals.

I don't know if you have the Dometic unit (BriskAir, www.dometicusa.com) or the Coleman (Mach 3, 9000 series, www.rvcomfort.com). But I think they are both rechargable - they talk about a 20 oz charge of "freon". If you have the skills and tools to work with home units, I bet you would find the RV version to be quite similar.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
hingarfi

Good ideas Bill:

I have RVP Surburban 9202-976. I have downloaded the manuals. Next week, when I open up the TM, I will check the inlet and outlet air temps. These temperatures are supposed to differ by 15-20 F. Hope I was just imagining a problem last month when I ran the AC.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I hope so too, Bert.

By the way, the web sites for these manufacturers are really annoying. They seem to crosslink and rename themselves at will, and without reason. And it takes as much as half an hour to unravel it all, so you can begin to find what you are looking for. Apparently, Suburban, RVProducts, RVComfort, AirXcel, and Coleman are all the same, and all fall under the RVComfort umbrella. Suburban usually implies heat-producing devices (furnace, oven, stovetop, etc), so I'm surprised that you have an air conditioner labelled Suburban. I say all this based on a page I uncovered here

http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documen...oldexperts.pdf

I seem to recall that the Dometic web sites are similarly convoluted, though I haven't tried to unravel them for a while. Apparently the entire RV heating and cooling industry went through some serious consolidation not long ago, and they haven't yet sorted out all the component companies.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote