TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
sharon

Default side mounted air conditioners

i just realized that some of the TM's have side mounted air conditioners and i had a camper (different brand) with a side mounted air and i hated it--------it was VERY loud--------anyone with experiences with this type of air i would really love to hear from some of you -----thank you, [email protected]
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Side Mounted AC

just realized that some of the TM's have side mounted air conditioners and i had a camper (different brand) with a side mounted air and i hated it--------it was VERY loud--------anyone with experiences with this type of air i would really love to hear from some of you -----thank you, [email protected]

Our 2002 2619 has a Fedders brand, side mount air conditioner. Loudness is of course a relative thing, and I don't have anything to compare it to. I would not, however, say it is objectionably loud - it sounds like a typical air conditioner. Maybe these units might sound loud to you because they're located in a confined area (??) I also would not say it does a great job of cooling either - I would call it barely adequate, especially when the temperature get past the mid 80's with high humidity. You also lose some valuable cabinet space.

As far as I know, the factory no longer uses the side mounted AC, opting instead for the roof mounted unit, which I would think is more efficient. There was quite a bit of discussion on this topic a while ago - with several opinions. Do a search for 'air conditioners' and you should find the various threads.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Freedom

Many people with the roof mounted A/C have complained about the noise from that kind also. We have the side mount and it is noisy, but not unbearably so. You want cool or quiet -that's the choices. I can put up with some noise if I can lower the temp in the TM. I also think there may be other more efficient air conditioners that would fit in the same place - I haven't checked yet, but have seen some at Home Depot that say Hi Output/ Low Energy Consumption. We're going on a six or seven week trip, (Williamsburg) maybe that will convince me we need a different A/C!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon
i just realized that some of the TM's have side mounted air conditioners and i had a camper (different brand) with a side mounted air and i hated it...
Our 1998 2619 had a side-mounted air conditioner. Yes, it was loud compared to when it was turned off. The heater was loud, also, compared to it being turned off. Anything with a motor in that small, confining space may sound loud... as someone else said, "Loud is relative."

We now have a conventional travel trailer with a roof-mounted air conditioner, and it seems no louder or quieter than the side-mounted unit. What truely matters to us, are we cool and comfortable in hot weather? The answer is YES to both the TM 2619 and our current trailer.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
coulter

My roof mounted air in the TM is very loud, so loud we turn it down to have a conversation.. low is not quite as bad. The alternative of camping without ac is much worse, we went for a long weekend here in SW MO the first part of August with temps in the upper 90's and humidity 60% or so.. the ac did a great job of giving us a comfortable place to retreat to to cool off. We do mostly dry camping in cool places though or I think I might resort to earplugs for sleeping
I don't think this is just a TM problem though since our other rv.. a jayco popup has horribly loud air also, and my moms TT air is loud, and the inlaws 5th wheel ac is very loud, I think it goes with the territory
Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
pbuck1

My side mount air conditioner I find a little loud but not obnoxiously so. Even with the fan on max we can have a conversation or watch TV without a problem. At night we can turn the fan speed down since the temperatures are lower anyway. I think its location out of the living/kitchen area helps a lot compared to the roof mount ac.

-Paul