TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
central_texan

Default Cabinet top laminate installation

I have a relatively new 2004 3023 TM. When I got it home, the first thing I did was to set it up and position all items in their respective positions. I noticed that the laminate on the moveable microwave shelf (to the right of the cooktop) was broken on the edge. After inspecting it (as well as the other laminate edges), I found that the laminate was installed incorrectly. The edges of the cabinet tops was broken in three other locations too.
The installation procedure used by TM is a common mistake made by amateurs who are building cabinet tops for the first time. TM installs the laminate on the top of the top material then installs the edges last. If the edges are not trimmed exactly right, as you drag items off the top of the cabinet, they catch on the edge laminate and break or tear loose the edge.
The proper procedure is to attach the edges first, trim with a laminate trimmer, sand smooth, then apply the laminate to the top of the sheet.
After the improper technique is done, there is no recourse for the top unless you remove tops, remove laminate, and re-apply. I'll probably use the trailer for a few years, put up with the broken edges, then replace all cabinet tops in the trailer. What a pain!
TM could alter their procedure and avoid this irritant.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Same problem

We noticed our table was chipped and also the counter top. I called the factory and they sent me strips to repair it with. We've not repaired it yet but when it gets to be annoying we will.

Pam
Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Harry Womack

Default Counter top laminate

I was told the reason they put the laminate on backwards ( top first then sides) is because the top is put on when the are sandwiching the bottom wood, foam, top wood and laminate. I think it would be better to put the laminate on after they laminate the other materials together.
Harry
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
BobRederick

I greatly dislike the edge banding laminate breaking as well and have repaired 2 places. I also dislike the sharp edge on all cabinetry and especially the dinette top of my 3326. After a time, it cuts into the wrists when using the tables. The folding tables at the couch are similarly sharp edged where the routered trim stops.

I wish TM would round off the edges. Since this can't be done with the current installation method (it uncovers a whitish inner layer), I would like to see another installation.

I am trying to find a softer edging and am looking for rubber. Has anyone successfully put rubber edging around the dinette table or other cabinetry? If so, where did you find it and how did it get installed?

Bob
Old 05-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
Larry_Loo

Default Vinyl rubber edging

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
. . . I am trying to find a softer edging and am looking for rubber. Has anyone successfully put rubber edging around the dinette table or other cabinetry? If so, where did you find it and how did it get installed?

Bob
I have not used any rubber edging on countertops. There are commonly used, vinyl edge moldings that can be pressed on to an edge. These require a horizontal groove be routed into the edge of the counters. The moldings have tongues that are pressed into the grooves. Also there are some types of stick-on edging such as those sold by McMaster-Carr Supply. Look at "Push-on Adhesive-backed Vinyl Trim Molding" on page 3482 of their online catalog, at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/