TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2023, 01:20 PM   #1
ArmyWarrant66

Default Fifth Wheel to Trailmanor

Hello, I am recently retired from the military and have relocated to Huntsville., AL. I stopped by Bankston RV in Huntsville and walked through a Trailmanor; the trailer is compact but has many amenities.

I already have a fairly new (2021) 35 fifth wheel and we really like the roominess, but we have it parked at a seasonal lake lot. Problem is that we like to go camping other places, and it is a pain to prep the fifth wheel for a two day trip.

I am thinking of a trailer that would fit in the garage and easy to prep if we decide on a weekend trip somewhere besides the lake. Looking at A-Frames and Trailmanor.

Has anyone downsized from a large trailer or Motorhome to a Trailmanor? Just curious how you adjusted and pro’s and con’s that you experienced.

Not opposed to buying used and remodeling, but leaning toward a new trailer. Thanks.

Dan
ArmyWarrant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:38 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

This is kinda what we will probably do in the next few years, but opposite. Wife wants a seasonal site. I like to travel and check out strange new worlds and civilizations. Plus I don’t want to put the 3326 on a seasonal site. All the TM compromises are geared towards easy towing, not long term staying. If we get a seasonal site I want to be able to use the shower in the camper. We will probably find a fifth wheel or destination trailer to park and keep the 3326 for roaming adventures.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
ArmyWarrant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
This is kinda what we will probably do in the next few years, but opposite. Wife wants a seasonal site. I like to travel and check out strange new worlds and civilizations. Plus I don’t want to put the 3326 on a seasonal site. All the TM compromises are geared towards easy towing, not long term staying. If we get a seasonal site I want to be able to use the shower in the camper. We will probably find a fifth wheel or destination trailer to park and keep the 3326 for roaming adventures.
Thanks for the feedback Shane. I’ve seen your informative posts on the TM FB page too. There is no way the wife will give up the FW at the lake or on extended trips. I’ve always loved the Trailmanor concept. I started out with a Jayco pop up and have had 2 of those and we are on our 3rd trailer (2 TTS and now our FW). IMHO, we had more fun with those little trailers! Just have to convince the wife on the second trailer for the garage and short trips.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWarrant66 View Post
Hello, I am recently retired from the military and have relocated to Huntsville., AL. I stopped by Bankston RV in Huntsville and walked through a Trailmanor; the trailer is compact but has many amenities.

I already have a fairly new (2021) 35 fifth wheel and we really like the roominess, but we have it parked at a seasonal lake lot. Problem is that we like to go camping other places, and it is a pain to prep the fifth wheel for a two day trip.

I am thinking of a trailer that would fit in the garage and easy to prep if we decide on a weekend trip somewhere besides the lake. Looking at A-Frames and Trailmanor.

Has anyone downsized from a large trailer or Motorhome to a Trailmanor? Just curious how you adjusted and pro’s and con’s that you experienced.

Not opposed to buying used and remodeling, but leaning toward a new trailer. Thanks.

Dan
My wife and I camp a lot. We owned 2-TrailManors from 2007-2012. In 2012 we bought a 33' Class A. We camped in that and towed a 20' cargo trailer with a RZR for off-roading until 2022 when we sold that entire setup and went back to a 2720SL TM.

We are retired (since 2013) and and really appreciate the ease of towing and camping in the TM. Having experienced that TM for several years previously, we found transitioning back to the TM quite smooth. Towing the TM with our Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 is such a dream as apposed to the Class A (towing or not towing).

There are quite a few upgrades that can be done to the stock TM to make it more "campable". If you are a handy guy, you might enjoy checking out some of the creative posts on "Modding" the TM.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Wayne- What did you not like about driving the Class A? I often wonder about a motorhome to make long distance travel more palatable for the kids (13yo son and 45yo wife)…
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Wayne- What did you not like about driving the Class A? I often wonder about a motorhome to make long distance travel more palatable for the kids (13yo son and 45yo wife)…
There is more stress in driving the big rigs. We towed a 20' cargo trailer (with a RZR and workshop) most of the time (around 5500#). We mostly go from our home to an area around the Salton Sea where we camped and road off-road vehicles. It was a 3-hour drive through winding mountain roads and by the time we got there (about 3-hours with a 30-minute lunch stop) I was very tense. My shoulders ached and I was very tired. Of course, I'm in my late 70's and that has a lot to do with it but driving the big rigs is simple more stressful than pulling a TM.

When we take cross-country trips, I like to drive for about 5-6 hours. Any more than that ruins the experience for me. When pulling the TM, it seems like I can drive all day and not get tired.

The downside is, no bathroom available while traveling. If we want food or drinks, we have to carry an ice chest. While on the road, our 2 dogs are constantly sitting on my wife's lap (even though we have a large back seat area. When in the MH, the dogs road in the back or on the dashboard. If we want a quick nap, it's not very comfortable in the truck even though the seats recline all the way back.

We had a Class C way back when and I wouldn't do that again. They are easy to drive on flat straight roads in good weather. If it's windy and/or winding roads, it can be a white knuckle ride. The Class A has a longer and wider wheel base which makes it much more stable.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:30 PM   #7
ArmyWarrant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
My wife and I camp a lot. We owned 2-TrailManors from 2007-2012. In 2012 we bought a 33' Class A. We camped in that and towed a 20' cargo trailer with a RZR for off-roading until 2022 when we sold that entire setup and went back to a 2720SL TM.

We are retired (since 2013) and and really appreciate the ease of towing and camping in the TM. Having experienced that TM for several years previously, we found transitioning back to the TM quite smooth. Towing the TM with our Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 is such a dream as apposed to the Class A (towing or not towing).

There are quite a few upgrades that can be done to the stock TM to make it more "campable". If you are a handy guy, you might enjoy checking out some of the creative posts on "Modding" the TM.
Thanks, Waverly. After 40 years of camping and watching big rigs in various campgrounds, I always thought I would do the same. Now that I am here at this point in my life, I feel like I would be just as happy with having a second, more mobile trailer. Atleast until I retire permanently; then I will need to reaccess.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #8
JFaubion54

Hi Dan,
We retired (military) and fulltimed 8 years in a 40’ Class A. In 2020 we sold the class A, bought a house in Florida, then added a 2720 Trailmanor that fits in our garage. Our travel consists of several one, to three-week trips a year. While I can appreciate the reluctance to part with the fifth wheel due to size/comfort, there is no comparison between the stress of driving a big rig and the ease of towing a Trailmanor. Additionally, as you stated, having the RV at your house will make preparing for, and returning from travel much more convenient. We are getting more comfortable camping with our Trailmanor and in 2024 we will help lead a 70+ day caravan with our veteran friends to the Canadian Maritimes – in the Trailmanor. Best of luck with your decision and safe travels. Joe
JFaubion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:12 PM   #9
ArmyWarrant66

Hey Joe,
Appreciate the advice. Having a Trailmanor readily available in the garage at all times would definitely allow more short term trips feasible. Did you buy the TM new or did you purchase used? That’s the next decision; I am quite handy and could remodel….but do I want to invest the time…that’s the question.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #10
Househunterlives

Default Been there done that

Disable Marine here. We had one TM and sold it years ago. Then we thought go and get a Class A. What a big mistake that was. The darn thing would break down more just setting in the driveway. The old saying, if you don't use it you'll lose it, holds true. Wife didn't like it. Got car sick in it very time we went off in it. So she would follow behind me in the car. Sold that thing quicker than handling a hot potato. It is white knuckle steering all the way. Even a small smart car would blow you off the road. Was not relaxing. Plus the gas mileage you'll do best to get 8mpg.
So we recently bought another TM 3023. Thought we would use it to island hop adventures. After getting the new TrailManor, and opening it and closing it. Found out its to hard to do with just myself. Also the DW (darling wife) has issues getting in and out of the beds. Its not that easy when the bed is 3ft in the air..lol We knew this going into getting another one. But still wanted to give it a try again. Cause we have always love these. I always want to do the 5th wheel. More room and easy to tow with the right tow rig. Now they have smaller 5th wheels 30-32ft models. If we where to go and purchase another camper. It will probably be a 5th wheel.
Househunterlives is offline   Reply With Quote