TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Solar Panel deal

If anyone is thinking of solar panels, this is a GREAT deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/80-Watt-solar-pa...item335aaf4bcb

I purchased 2, of these same panels from this seller (@ $240 each) and I can't say enough about them. At @ $209 (incl S&H) they are a steal.

1, 80W panel may be adequate for some, especially if it is not permanently mounted and you are willing to "Chase the Sun" with it. I permanently mounted 2 of these and have had quite impressive results and I'm NOT a power mizer....

This guy's prices fluctuate, depending on his inventory. If you are thinking solar, I'd grab them at this price.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Jim&Joan

Kind of interesting...
The price of $209 is a 'starting bid', I don't see a 'buy now' option.

On their web site, the price is $249.

The web site states $45 for shipping, but the ebay indication is shipping is covered.

I may give them a call and see what they might be willing to do.

I know there are several in depth posts on the subject, but do you (or have you) use(d) their charge controller?

Never mind...I read the posts and see your stance on controllers.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim&Joan -

If you call them, please post (or PM me) the results. I have a friend who is interested.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
Kind of interesting...
The price of $209 is a 'starting bid', I don't see a 'buy now' option.

On their web site, the price is $249.

The web site states $45 for shipping, but the ebay indication is shipping is covered.

I may give them a call and see what they might be willing to do.

I know there are several in depth posts on the subject, but do you (or have you) use(d) their charge controller?

Never mind...I read the posts and see your stance on controllers.
I did end up with a controller (not by choice). I think that it's a cheap one but my batteries stay pretty topped up. We'll be dry-camping at Pt Mugu this week for 5 days. I'm confident that the batteries will stay topped up.

BTW......When I posted that eBay link, it was a "Buy-it-now" auction....... I don't know how he does that but I've seen him do it before. Check his other listings.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Expect a push back from Wayne, but investigate this carefully. Several red flags.

English in description is incorrect hints of Chinese product ie has backward diode???

Contact email address is at Gmail a free mail site. Not normally used by established US companies.

No real specs on efficiency etc.

I am not saying these are bad panels or this is a scam, but just suggesting you investigate further before purchasing..
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Expect a push back from Wayne, but investigate this carefully. Several red flags.

English in description is incorrect hints of Chinese product ie has backward diode???

Contact email address is at Gmail a free mail site. Not normally used by established US companies.

No real specs on efficiency etc.

I am not saying these are bad panels or this is a scam, but just suggesting you investigate further before purchasing..
I have no idea where the panels are actually made. I can tell you that the measured output in direct Sunlight on the panels that I bought (80W) was 5.62A (one panel) with the battery @ 12.5V (before hooking up the panels). I can also tell you that the panel is high quality (glare proof) glass and high quality aluminum frames. Extremely well put together and sealed.

I have no ties to this guy (don't even know him) and I am not trying to push anything. All I can say is that they work for me and they are about 1/2 the price of panels that I have seen out there. I also received them in 4 days and they were shipped from Texas (not that , that means anything). I ordered 1 first, to test it out (I was skeptical). After testing, I ordered a second panel.

We are camping this week for 5 days and I will take some pics of actual output reading from my ammeter. I will also take some pics of the construction of the panels.

For what it's worth.....that auction just closed and someone got the panel for $209 (free S&H).......
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
For what it's worth.....that auction just closed and someone got the panel for $209.......
Well, based off Wayne's install/"experience so far" thread and his prior solar experience on his boat, I just bought two of them at $209/ea shipped (There was another auction for the same panel that ended 15 minutes later).

I saw the typos (charing instead of charging....let's hope that's not the case), but decided to take a chance.

Time will tell if it works out.

I have some reading to do on install options and am sure I'll be asking Wayne questions

I live a block from the other end of Point Mugu State Park/Sycamore Canyon - - so an 8 mile bike ride delivers me to the Pt Mugu Campground Wayne frequents - If he doesn't mind a vistor, I may ride my bike down to see his install in person )

I'll update my experience on this thread...
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDog View Post
Well, based off Wayne's install/"experience so far" thread and his prior solar experience on his boat, I just bought two of them at $209/ea shipped (There was another auction for the same panel that ended 15 minutes later).

I saw the typos (charing instead of charging....let's hope that's not the case), but decided to take a chance.

Time will tell if it works out.

I have some reading to do on install options and am sure I'll be asking Wayne questions

I live a block from the other end of Point Mugu State Park/Sycamore Canyon - - so an 8 mile bike ride delivers me to the Pt Mugu Campground Wayne frequents - If he doesn't mind a vistor, I may ride my bike down to see his install in person )

I'll update my experience on this thread...
We always love company.....come on by. We aren't sure if we will get there on Wed or Thurs yet. Our reservations are Thurs-Monday but we may go on Wed if things are slow. There are 28 open spots on Wed, so I'm not concerned about reservations. I'll PM you my cell ph#.

BTW......you got them about $80 cheaper than I did.........
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Yep, Chinese. I like the quote on www.laviesolar.com "PUT THE SUN IS CONVERTED TO WEALTH BUILDING RICH HUMANITY IS OUR PURPOSE! - solar panel". The website is from Texas, but the domain is here:

Registrant:
Organization : liuyang
Name : liu yang
Address : Zhengzhoushi jing san lu
City : Zhengzhou
Province/State : Zhejiang
Postal Code : 450008

Good luck.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
brulaz

So, I've been meaning to ask.

Has anybody had any problems with their panels not being "rugged" enough? I mean you're mounting them on a trailer, or some of you are carrying them around (in the back of your pickup?) and setting them up each time. Are standard solar panels strong enough for this sort of usage?

I haven't heard of any problems so I guess they must be ... ?

By the way, the ones I'm looking at are Kyocera 130W : http://store.solar-electric.com/kyso130wa12v.html

They seem pretty rugged with tempered glass and an aluminum frame. I also like the size and weight.