TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
appleton

Default Tree fell on roof of 1998 2720 - totaled?

Thanks to some 85mph winds coming through Ohio on Friday night, my newly-restored 1998 2720 now has a buckled front and rear shell. I'm assuming the insurance adjuster is going to check around and see how much new shells run, but based on what i've read, it's likely going to totaled, considering both shells are damaged.

It sucks that I just picked it up last summer and spent over 4 months gutting it, putting a new floor in, new upholstery, refinished the cabinets, rebuilt the bulkhead from oak, added a stereo, speakers, you name it.

I doubt I'll find something comparable in price and condition this summer, considering camping season is in full swing.

Any suggestions on how to explain to the adjuster how these should be valued? ie, the cost of finding a replacement model in similar condition & price range?

I need to get a current picture of the front shell where it is completely buckled. Slim to no chance of repairing it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailmanor.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	7606  
appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I really feel badly for you, all that work, and then it just gets wrecked. I would contact salespeople of the biggest TM dealers in the US, and get their opinion. There is the Car Show in CO, Custom RV in Anaheim, CA, and MCD in Hyannis, MA. I'm think they're some of the biggest ones. If they're not too busy, perhaps you could them pictures of your TM interior & exterior, and ask them what they would ask for this unit on their lot (assuming that a tree hadn't fallen on it). It's not exacty owner retail price, but it's probably a good start.

You have my deepest sympathies!

D
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Wow, that is a major bummer, indeed. IMHO, it seems like the closest analogy to your situation is getting a restored classic car totaled. How do you value a 1957 Chevy in pristine condition? I have no idea, but certainly NADA guides are of no use. And finding a 1998 TM for sale restored to the likes of what you did is unlikely. But there are probably appraisers for classic cars -- maybe there are some that do RVs. You might check the Airstream forums.....they would probably be one of the few brands that have old restored units on the road.

Hopefully you took lots of pictures of your work after it was done. Hopefully you kept receipts of all your materials. Maybe in combination of all that info, plus finding a newer unit in comparable condition might be a start.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Riwright
TrailManor Master

What a bummer. You might consider looking for a "parts camper". Something in bad condition generally but with serviceable shells.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
skrusins

Try to have receipts for as much as possible
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

That's quite the bad luck. Sorry.

I would think your restored loss coverage will determined by what level of insurance you had on the TM. What coverage specifically. Can it be covered under the homeowners policy since it was home? Some RV policies are limited on total payout or actual loss. What box did you check on the policy requirements for VALUE? Book value, replacement value, one of a kind value? That will dictate your loss or gain. Similar situation with motorcycles that have been accessorized. Insurance doesn't always cover the unusual well.

Agree, save all our receipts and document all the work that has been done. Weve seen the photos and we can vouch for your work.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
klv5920

Oh wow! That makes me want to cry for you!!
That is like remodeling your house and then it floods or catches fire!!
No amount will replace all your work, just hope you can get enough
compensation to get another TM in good condition!!

Karen
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
appleton

well, i'm on round 1 of the insurance journey. My insurance co originally agreed to send someone out, but I didn't get the call this morning. I reached out to the 3rd party adjuster co and they again asked me to drive it in its current condition to "an" RV dealer (not possible since it won't close) I had already called around to some former TM dealers and they said only a current dealer could order/replace the shells. after a couple of rounds, they agreed to send someone out to take pictures and they're going to send them to Mentor RV (Near Cleveland) for estimates.

Who knows where this is going. I'm hoping to get enough to find a comparable/clean model, but we all know how tough it is to find a good, used, clean pre-owned unit now, esp in the middle of camping season. I might have to sit out this season and pick one up in the off-season.. Assuming my insurance co treats me right.

Digging up my receipts now and have plenty of 'after' pictures.
appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Default So sorry.

So sorry about your TM Storm damage. We had a fire in our home in 2004 and were out of our home for 6 months. Our TM was the 'construction ' office for the duration of the restoration/renovation of our home. May all bode well for finding an adequate replacement. Good luck. Olga and Ken
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Bill & Lisa

Man, I feel for you. Sorry for the heartache but hopefully looking back a year from now it will all be worked out and just a bad memory and not a nightmare your are still living with.