TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Bob & Bonnie

Default dot code

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Did you look on both sides of the tire? I feel it is on the opposite side. The date codes are going to be on one side, while sometimes a partial DOT code will be on the other (but not necessarily). Actually, you are not supposed to run any vehicle/trailer tire in the U.S. without a complete DOT number, including date.

Is there any way you can post pics of these tires and their incomplete DOT codes from both sides of the tire?

You might be in line for some replacement tires if there is no date code......as this is a condition for NHTSA to 'order' a recall on them (if the manufacturer doesn't issue a voluntary one), as they won't adhere to NHTSA tire labeling standards. If these tires are imported thru a distribution network, then the distributor becomes liable for the recall......if the Chinese manufacturer can't be forced to. This same scenario just happened several years ago with an importer called Foreign Tire Sales.
Will try to post them saturday (hopefully). I was aware that the code dates were on the inside Will be getting new ones soon.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I'm also looking to replace my 14inch marathons. I have a 2008 2720 and it "appears" like I have some clearance, however I do not see what I thought to be a lift kit. Is there a typical amount of space for clearance allowing for movement
One of the members mentioned 225 75 15 maxis that took him to alaska. That's a better reccomendation than I can get from any dealer
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Bob & Bonnie

Default dot code - oops

wmtire:

Pictures not needed! When I checked the spare tire, I assumed that the code would be on the inside, checked for the valve stem side, turned it over to find code on the inside no code -evidently the tire was mounted in reverse - found the code on the valve side when I took the spare in to have it changed. Tire dealer also mounted the tire in reverse.

Bob
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Bonnie View Post
wmtire:

Pictures not needed! When I checked the spare tire, I assumed that the code would be on the inside, checked for the valve stem side, turned it over to find code on the inside no code -evidently the tire was mounted in reverse - found the code on the valve side when I took the spare in to have it changed. Tire dealer also mounted the tire in reverse.

Bob
OK Bob, as long as you found the date code.

Just for everyone's information. Most trailer tires (and many vehicle tires in general that are just blackwall tires...ie no whitewall, no white letters, etc) don't really have an "inside" or "outside". They can be mounted onto a wheel with either side facing outwards (or inwards). Directional (or V-Groove) tires will be an exception to this.

Tire manufacturers place an entire DOT code with date on one side of the tire, and sometimes a partial DOT code (without date) on the opposite side.

A lot of tire technicians (mine included) don't really pay attention to which side has the date code on it when mounting the tires. They may mount it with the date code facing the outside of the wheel, or mount it facing the inside of the wheel. Most of the times they are not even to going to look. It doesn't matter, as far as the tire running or performing. It's just luck of the draw, and how they picked up the tire when they mount it. Dealers choice you could say. You may have some tires with the full DOT facing out, and some facing in...or any kind of combination thereforth. (ie 2 out, 2 in : 3 out, 1 in : 4 out etc)

The paperwork required on the sale of new tires at the time of sale, does require the entire DOT code to be listed. This information is gleaned from the tires before they are mounted on the wheel... or if not, then before the tire/wheel assembly is mounted on the vehicle. So at the time of purchase, it is easy for the dealer to read the entire DOT code, just by turning the tire around if necessary.

However, depending on which side of the tire is facing outwards, after the tire/wheel assembly is bolted to the vehicle.....can make it difficult for either the dealer or owner to read the date code later on down the road.

This was the reason that NHTSA was wanting the entire code placed on both sidewalls, so the owner wouldn't have to climb underneath their vehicles to read them (if that side of the tire was mounted facing inwards). So far, it's only progressed to the point where there is a partial code on the opposite side from where the full code is.......and this isn't across all brands.

When you are purchasing new tires, you could tell the dealer you want to make sure the full DOT code is facing outwards, so if you need to look at it later, you won't have to crawl underneath the vehicle/trailer. I don't see why any dealer would object to that, as I know I wouldn't. Of course, after you leave we may talk about how anal retentive that last customer was. LOL

We've had some customers who have wanted each tire mounted exactly on the rim as all the others. Like putting the letter 'G' in Goodyear at the valve stem.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIKERZ View Post
I'm also looking to replace my 14inch marathons. I have a 2008 2720 and it "appears" like I have some clearance, however I do not see what I thought to be a lift kit. Is there a typical amount of space for clearance allowing for movement
One of the members mentioned 225 75 15 maxis that took him to alaska. That's a better reccomendation than I can get from any dealer
On newer TM's the axle angle was changed so the lift kit would not be required. look at your and the angle of the axle arms. Search here for dexter and lift kit for more details.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIKERZ View Post
Hikerz -

If you rummage around the appropriate areas of this forum, you'll find that Dexter recommends 3 inches of clearance above the tire. You'll also find that 3 inches appears to be considerably more than adequate.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Thanks. Once again 12 dollars well spent
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

You might be in line for some replacement tires if there is no date code......as this is a condition for NHTSA to 'order' a recall on them (if the manufacturer doesn't issue a voluntary one), as they won't adhere to NHTSA tire labeling standards. If these tires are imported thru a distribution network, then the distributor becomes liable for the recall......if the Chinese manufacturer can't be forced to. This same scenario just happened several years ago with an importer called Foreign Tire Sales.
I just got two recall notifications this morning from the NHTSA, concerning Yokohama tires. These tires are being recalled for the same thing, we talked about, as the date code was incomplete. These tires were actually ordered recalled in 2010, but Yokohama appealed it. Yokohama lost the appeal.

Just posting this, so everyone can gain more knowledge on their tires.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 10T001
Synopsis:
Certain Yokohama Tires, size P215/60R15 AVID H4S 93H, manufactured between December 2, 2007, and September 19, 2009, fail to conform to the tire identification requirement Of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." The molded markings on one sidewall do not contain the complete tire identification number (tin) or partial (tin) as required. The lack of a tin on both sides of the tire could make it more difficult for consumers to identify these tires if, in the future, a safety-related performance issue were to be discovered. As a consequence, there is a risk that the tires would not be removed from service, which, in turn, could increase the risk of a vehicle crash. Yokohama's petition for relief from remedy based on its belief that the noncompliance was inconsequential to motor vehicle safety was denied by NHTSA on February 16, 2012. Accordingly, Yokohama will conduct a safety recall campaign. It will notify registered owners and provide free replacement tires. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about April 6, 2012. Owners may contact Yokohama Campaign Service Center at 1-888-801-4162.

For more information for this particular recall, please go to 10T001.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09T014
Synopsis:
Certain Yokohama replacement tires, size 205/50R16 A680 87V, manufactured between September 1, 2007, and November 28, 2009, fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." The molded markings on one sidewall do not contain the complete Tire Identification Number (TIN) or partial (TIN) as required. The lack of a tin on both sides of the tire could make it more difficult for consumers to identify these tires if, in the future, a safety-related performance issue were to be discovered. As a consequence, there is a risk that the tires would not be removed from service, which, in turn, could increase the risk of a vehicle crash. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about April 6, 2012. Owners may contact Yokohama Campaign Service Center at 1-888-801-4162.

For more information for this particular recall, please go to 09T014.