TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2023, 09:08 PM   #11
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Have you looked behind the outside shower panel? That might get you a better angle, but its been awhile since I looked behind mine.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:21 PM   #12
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Have you looked behind the outside shower panel? That might get you a better angle, but its been awhile since I looked behind mine.
No I haven’t. Hadn’t considered that. Really wouldn’t want to have to deal with the silicone sealing that panel to the wall, though at some point I will (had to cut the shower line out so I could close the door for winter - couldn’t feed the line back into the cubby). If I can’t get it done from below, I’ll have to take a look at that option. Thanks for that suggestion. I’ll take a peek into the cubby tomorrow and see if it looks accessible.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #13
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Eureka!!!!

Finally!! Borrowed an adjustable strainer lock-nut tool from someone in town here, and got the strainer out. Used it vertically, with just the tips of the tool on the nut, and a small pair of vice-grips as a lever on the handle. Used a piece of 1x2, my needle-nose and a ratchet clamp to brace the strainer top end, since I didn't have an extra pair of hands up top.

Took a while at the start since that nut isn't very deep and the tool would slip off every couple of turns. But after about 5 minutes of 1/4 turns I got it to the point where it was past all of the silicone that was jamming it up in the threads, and I could unscrew the thing by hand.

I have removed the strainer (that came out way too easy!!!) and I'm cleaning it up. Have cleaned up & reassembled the trap with abs glue and will give it a spray with Flex seal once it has fully set, like I did the grey tank pipe connection, just in case I can't track down the proper replacement. I could re-use it if necessary. Get new washers for it and should hopefully be able to put everything back together tomorrow or the next day. After I get the residual silicone out of the tub opening.

Next job... tires, brakes and bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16d9.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	22037   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16d8.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	22038   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16d7.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	707.1 KB
ID:	22039   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16d6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	22040   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16d5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	22041  

Old 05-30-2023, 08:06 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Finally!! Borrowed an adjustable strainer lock-nut tool from someone in town here, and got the strainer out.
Thank you for posting this. I have taken the liberty of "enhancing" your first two photos. Hope you don't mind. Can't wait for the announcement "No more leak!"

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TM tub drain 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	22059   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tub drain 2.jpg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	22060  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:50 PM   #15
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Thank you for posting this. I have taken the liberty of "enhancing" your first two photos. Hope you don't mind. Can't wait for the announcement "No more leak!"

Bill
No problem. Enhance away. Unfortunately I have found exactly where the thing was leaking…. Inside the top knurled abs nut, there is supposed to be 2 little lips, that keep that nut on the pipe, and puts even pressure on the washer inside. One has broken off, worn off, possibly from being over tightened over the years, or just time and a little misalignment. In fact, with just a little lift, I can pop that nut right off! I discovered it after looking more closely when it looked cross threaded, though I knew it wasn’t…

So still leaking. Tested in the bathroom sink…. I have a possible fix though…. Will let you know after an evening of chewing on it and see if I can come up with a workaround. I have tried to find a replacement, but everything I can find is 1 1/4” at the strainer end, but 1 1/2” at the outlet to the grey tank. These are 1 1/4” at both ends. Might have to do some creative abs surgery. Maybe buy a replacement and “transplant” the distal end of this onto the new one.

Fortunately, our local bargain shop has something that looks perfect, except for the 1 1/2” back end. So I will take the whole thing over there tomorrow morning, make sure the front end fits everything properly, and “scrub in” for some surgery. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E4E380A3-188B-4417-B6FC-15706B28178F.jpg
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	22061   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB63064D-636E-4279-B73D-9D028315DAFC.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	22062  
Old 05-30-2023, 09:26 PM   #16
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:

Bill
I think a pair of wide jaw long nose locking pliers would do the job too. Maybe even easier than the lock nut wrench.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

So if I understand correctly, you jammed the basket in place from the top (inside the tub) so it wouldn't rotate, and then turned the nut from the bottom. Would it be possible to hold the nut from the bottom somehow, and then turn the basket from the top? Again, might take two people ... but maybe less futzing around in that cramped space where all the plumbing gets in the way.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:35 AM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
No problem. Enhance away. Unfortunately I have found exactly where the thing was leaking…. Inside the top knurled abs nut, there is supposed to be 2 little lips, that keep that nut on the pipe, and puts even pressure on the washer inside. One has broken off, worn off, possibly from being over tightened over the years, or just time and a little misalignment. In fact, with just a little lift, I can pop that nut right off! I discovered it after looking more closely when it looked cross threaded, though I knew it wasn’t…

So still leaking. Tested in the bathroom sink…. I have a possible fix though…. Will let you know after an evening of chewing on it and see if I can come up with a workaround. I have tried to find a replacement, but everything I can find is 1 1/4” at the strainer end, but 1 1/2” at the outlet to the grey tank. These are 1 1/4” at both ends. Might have to do some creative abs surgery. Maybe buy a replacement and “transplant” the distal end of this onto the new one.

Fortunately, our local bargain shop has something that looks perfect, except for the 1 1/2” back end. So I will take the whole thing over there tomorrow morning, make sure the front end fits everything properly, and “scrub in” for some surgery. More to come.
Could you use a clamp on rubber reducer?

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-4...s%2C315&sr=8-3

Here's an ABS trap reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/Genova-Produc...s%2C367&sr=8-9

There seems to be all sorts of 1.25" P-traps available.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1.25%22+a...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 05-31-2023, 08:33 AM   #19
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, you jammed the basket in place from the top (inside the tub) so it wouldn't rotate, and then turned the nut from the bottom. Would it be possible to hold the nut from the bottom somehow, and then turn the basket from the top? Again, might take two people ... but maybe less futzing around in that cramped space where all the plumbing gets in the way.

Bill
That is exactly what I did. I used the 1x2 as a brace - it jammed against the side of the tub to keep the basket from rotating.

I had considered going the other way around Bill. But Yeah... nothing to really brace the lock-nut wrench against if you were doing it alone. If I had had another pair of hands it would probably have been easier that way, but I didn't, so I went with what I had. Got the job done, but I looked at trying to see if I could do it turning the basket, but couldn't get it to work.

When I re-install, I'll do the same thing in reverse, and brace the basket in the other direction. Except this time, I will have clean threads and parts to work with. So hand tightening will work for most of it. A small amount of wrenching will be involved, but not as bad as the removal!
Old 05-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #20
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Could you use a clamp on rubber reducer?

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-4...s%2C315&sr=8-3

Here's an ABS trap reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/Genova-Produc...s%2C367&sr=8-9

There seems to be all sorts of 1.25" P-traps available.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1.25%22+a...ref=nb_sb_noss
The part that needs reducing is at the end of the curve where it connects to the elbow, so those sleeves won't work... Thought about that, but there isn't a straight length of pipe to slip it onto, and there are a lot of P/J-traps around, and I have been looking for about 4 or 5 days now, but anything I have found that is the correct dimensions and shape (ie, that will fit in that little space) are all 1-1/4" at the tub end, but 1-1/2" at the tank end of the curve because the 90 degree elbow going to the tank pipe is 1-1/2". Our elbow is 1-1/4" - at the trap connection at least. I am not going to work any farther back than that. If I start cutting the pipe going to the grey tank, I will be opening up a world of hurt for myself I think!! I have to leave the elbow that is there in place.

I think what I am going to try is removing that protruding "ring" of abs (the one that would keep the nut from sliding down the pipe - the little red arrow) with a dremel, and use a rubber collar directly from the threads of the strainer to the abs. Keeps everything the correct length so everything still lines up, and adds a little flexibility to the structure. Going over to the local go-to shop and see what they have. If I'm lucky, I will be able to thread a 1-1/4" rubber coupler right onto the strainer threads.

The other possibility is to buy a new trap (our local shop has this exact one!) And cut the "basket" ends off of both (if it fits the strainer - I have the whole assembly with me to test fit!). Transplant the new one onto the old trap, connected with a rubber collar. The more I think about that, the easier it sounds!! Or cut the old one off, put on a fresh piece of 1-1/4" pipe with an abs coupler, and attach THAT to the strainer threads with a rubber coupler.

But no matter which way I look at it, I can't track down an exact swap. I could buy all of the pieces and build one (maybe!) like I had to with the dump valves, but that is such a confined space in there, if things aren't just the right length, there's no room for adjustment. And I need to get this part of the job done, so I can start on other things that need doing. Heading out in early July, and a month sounds like a lot of time, but I have spent 2 weeks just on plumbing between the pump, the toilet and now this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7222b.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	704.2 KB
ID:	22063   Click image for larger version

Name:	61v-LgW-v5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	22064