TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Philip

Default Campgrounds Near The Havasupai Canyon?

We are in the process of planning an extended three month trip out west this spring. We plan to be at the south rim(Canyon Village) of the Grand Canyon in late April. From there we want to go to the Havasupai Canyon area and make reservations at the Havasupai Lodge in the canyon for one night.

The question is: Are there any campgrounds close to the Canyon where we could get into with our 2720 TM for a night or two? We most likely will not get to the canyon area early from Canyon Village, as it is a fair drive, and we do not want to hike the ten miles down to the Havasupai Lodge late in the day. Since we have no experience with the Havasupai Canyon area we would also like to have the option of exploring the area after we leave the Havasupai Lodge should we find the area interesting. This would also require a nearby campsite to set up the TM.

Yet another question I have concerning this southwest area of the Grand Canyon relates to the Skywalk platform in the extreem west end of the Grand Canyon. Are there any campsites near this platform to set up the TM? I would like to stay as close to this platform as possible. I realize that this may be a real "tourist trap" and my wife doesn't have any interest in stopping there but I think it could be a fun experience(like a good roller coaster).

It would really be great if I could hear from someone who has done the southwest section of the Grand Canyon recently and could give me some real tips. I am finding little clear information online about the details in this area and as we all know "the devil is in the details"

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

2008, 2720 TM
2005 Toyota V8 4Runner
Prodigy
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Scott O

I don't know of anything in Peach Springs. You might check if there is anything in Seligman. Reservations for Supai opened last fall, so I suspect they may be a bit hard to get, particularly for the Lodge. And you will want 2-3 nights there. The trail head is a pretty good drive from anywhere. It is a rather strenuous 8 mile hike down a sand wash. Out is much more difficult. You are on your own for the Skywalk...they do have a website. I do know the Skywalk is very expensive (close to $90.00) and a long drive on a dirt road. I would not take my TM there.

Give us some ideas about the time you have and I'm sure you will get some suggestions.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I don't know of anything in Peach Springs. You might check if there is anything in Seligman. Reservations for Supai opened last fall, so I suspect they may be a bit hard to get, particularly for the Lodge. And you will want 2-3 nights there. The trail head is a pretty good drive from anywhere. It is a rather strenuous 8 mile hike down a sand wash. Out is much more difficult. You are on your own for the Skywalk...they do have a website. I do know the Skywalk is very expensive (close to $90.00) and a long drive on a dirt road. I would not take my TM there.

Give us some ideas about the time you have and I'm sure you will get some suggestions.
Scott,

Thank you for the information. I am checking your suggestions.

I have about five days to burn in the south west area of the Grand Canyon - if I have need to!

You seem to be a bit familiar with this area. I notice an RV campsite in a remote old mining town, Chloride Arizona, south and a bit west of the west end of the grand canyon. It is actually not too long of a drive to the west end of the Grand Canyon from this campsite. Do you know anything about this town or campsite?

Thank you for your help,

Phil
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Scott O

Don't remember if I have been through Chloride so no help there. There will be campgrounds in Kingman if you are going west. South of the Canyon is Williams or Flagstaff, both have several campgrounds. One thing you will discover about this area is that there is a long way between everyplace! Since I am not at all interested in Skywalk, I would camp at south rim of the Grand Canyon, then camp in Flagstaff. From Flag you could so day trips south, Sedona, Jerome, several national monuments, etc. It is a remarkable area.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As you plan, be aware that Arizona is closing 21 out of its 30 state parks, Jerome being among them. It is hard to imagine the stupidity behind this move - but that's editorial comment, isn't it?

National parks, monuments, etc, are not part of this move, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff many times. Normally I prefer public campgrounds, but this is well placed for exploring the area. I even remember staying there with my parents when they took us on a camping trip in 1976. The last time I was there, it was much the same.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Don't remember if I have been through Chloride so no help there. There will be campgrounds in Kingman if you are going west. South of the Canyon is Williams or Flagstaff, both have several campgrounds. One thing you will discover about this area is that there is a long way between everyplace! Since I am not at all interested in Skywalk, I would camp at south rim of the Grand Canyon, then camp in Flagstaff. From Flag you could so day trips south, Sedona, Jerome, several national monuments, etc. It is a remarkable area.
Scott,

Thank you for a great idea. It's funny how you forget - I stayed in Sedona many years ago during a trip out west and loved it and the whole area. I just forgot we were passing so close to the Sedona area. It would be a great time to explore this area in more detail.

Thank you again,

Phil