TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Default Spare Tire Carrier

My 3124 Kb did not come with the spare tire carrier. Initially, I did not realize that. I ended up ordering one from TM and upon attempting to install it (yesterday), I realize that the mounting brackets on the street side of the camper are bent. These brackets are fairly substantial (thick) iron and I grossly over estimated my ability (paired with my frustration) to kick them back straight. Further, I grossly underestimated their strength and ended up smashing my finger while trying to use a hammer to knock them back straight.

The PO was an avid "roads less traveled" camper, and it looks as though he encountered an obstruction (rock or the like) while turning to the left. The brackets are bent toward the door side of the trailer (with the front one being bent more so than the back).

TLDR: Any ideas how I can bend the tire carrier mounting brackets back to their place so that my tire carrier's bolts will line up with the bracket on the door side of the trailer?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Smile why not the bumper?

OK....there should be a 1" hole in these brackets....if that is the case then try to fit a piece of pipe or a breaker bar in there so you might get some leverage to bend them straight...if you can't then you need a bigger hammer...or...you could send that carrier back and try to get a refund and then put that spare tire on the rear bumper like I did when I went to 16"tires. If you haven't seen my website ( http://www.trickmytrailmano.com ), check it out. There you can see what I did and read what it involved. Otherwise, go to red communist Chinese Horrible Fraught Tools and buy a small sledge hammer to knock them back into shape...or,put the spare in your TV.
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Hi Tom,

Recall that I've been to your site a number of times (reached out to you via PM when I could not get any of the pictures larger than thumbnail size). I had not yet tried leverage (use it for so much else, can't believe I overlooked it). As for back bumper, I have the newer style (non-square tube) bumper... I shall rather try and bend it back (I know it will bend, it just needs to be "convinced"). Thanks for your help.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

See if you can get someone with a set of torches, heated steel bends easy. Most muffler shops , automotive, will heat it for a nominal fee, then smack it with your hammer when hot.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

So a little propane torch is probably not sufficient? (the kind used for plumbing).

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

If you can use Mapp gas in your unit, that will get hot enough

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure that I totally understand your situation, but for bending sturdy metal plate, let me suggest the following. Bashing with a hammer seldom works. It just bounces. Instead, get an adjustable wrench. Open the jaws just a bit more than the thickness of the metal plate to be bent. Slip the jaws over the edge of the plate. Now push the handle of the wrench in the direction you want the bend to go. Slow steady pressure here will often bend plate, when hammer-bashing won't.

If the width of the plate to be bent is more than a couple inches, you might use a pair of adjustable wrenches, side-by-side, separated by a couple inches.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adj wrench.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	13532  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

gonzo628,

A few more options come to mind; try a local auto body shop, they may have the equipment to straighten the brackets; or try a vocational school auto body shop. Either one or both might also install the spare tire carrier once the brackets are reset.

Let us know how you make out.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo628 View Post
So a little propane torch is probably not sufficient? (the kind used for plumbing).

Maybe, maybe not! Thickness of metal and width would be determing fact, won't hurt to try, propane tanks are inexpensive to try. Doesn't get as hot as Mapp gas or acetylene though.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up once again

Mr. Bill has the best solution. I forgot about using a big crescent wrench...I use a monster one to bend metal in a vice so if you get one long enough, that will work. As far as heating with a torch goes, I'd be wary.... there are all sorts of wires under there next to the frame...not to mention the trailer propane line for the fridge and water heater...just make sure the propane tanks are turned OFF if you decide to use heat!
And yes I do remember your PM about my website...thanks again for lighting a fire under me on expanding my photos...I value your input!
I forgot that you might have the new style rear bumper, so the spare wouldn't work back there...but one good thing about that new style bumper is you can plug in your trailer when it's all closed up....me I had to install another plug box on my trailer to be able to do that.
That was a good point about the vocational school class that might do your work for a small fee. Good idea!
OK....good luck!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mounting brackets, smashed finger, spare tire, spare tire carrier