TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Simon3xUD

Unhappy Stove Installation

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. If you could, please remove the drawer to the right of the stove and look inside the drawer slot along the upper left side. I need to know if there is any sign of the screws that hold the stove in place. If so, how many do you see?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

My 2720SL is in storage so I can't provide the details you request but if you are working on a problem regarding the stove "shaking loose" be aware this is apparently quite common as the TM's bounce about. My dealer (Chesapeake RV Solutions) had to build new custom braces to finally stop things from coming adift (I'm retired Navy so excuse the termanology). Anyone else had this problem? Cheers, Dick
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I have a 2005 TM 2720. We have 13 trips for 4500 miles in 16 months. There is no sign of the stove coming loose.

There are no screws from the cabinet into the stove.

However, when I removed the top of the stove (not just the grate) I can see 2 screws on each side going int the cabinet.

I will have the TM in the driveway for the rest of the weekend if you have any more questions.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Simon3xUD

Thanks Wayne. Can you check inside the drawer compartment and tell me if you see any evidence of the screws which you saw the heads of after removing the grate and stove top? And if you see them, could you describe where they are?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I did see two screws protruding through into the dead space on the left side of the drawer. I think they were the the screws holding in the right side of the stove. They were about a half inch too long, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Dinner time, so I'll check later or tomorrow morning.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
jimair1548

Default Stove problem

In reference to the stove screws coming out, mine did the same thing. The fix seems to be getting your tires balanced....mine were 'way out and balancing made everything "calm and serene". My microwave was coming out of it's cabinet(due to the tie-down strap coming loose repeatedly)...Jim
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Freedom

Like Jimair1548 above, our stove self destructed after we put the spare tire on. It was so out of balance it jiggled the stove apart. The screws on our stove go into that space and had square nuts on them. They now have nylocks (nylon locking nuts) which will not jiggle off under any circumstances. The stove is assembled with nylocks where appropriate and other screws are all put in with Locktite. The trailer will self destruct before that stove comes apart again!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
PopBeavers

The screws in mine are wood screws, or perhaps self taping screws. It definitely is not a machine screw with a nut on the end.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Simon3xUD

Default My sad tale of woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
I did see two screws protruding through into the dead space on the left side of the drawer. I think they were the the screws holding in the right side of the stove. They were about a half inch too long, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Ok, next question...did the screws go through a small (1/2" x 1/2"?) wood block? My apologies for these circular questions but I am convinced that our stove was not securely installed in the first place. However, I also don't want to rant at the factory if everyone else's was installed the same way.

In our TM, the screws did not go into that wood block inside the drawer compartment. Instead, they went between the bottom layer of the countertop and the fiberboard (?) that separates the two cabinets so there was nothing substantial for the screws to bite into.

To make matters worse, on the left side of the stove, the screws went into the styrofoam layer of the countertop. There is a wood block on the framing (stove side) of the cabinet to the left of the stove, but again there is no evidence of screw holes in that block. I checked and there is so much distance between the stove frame and the block that less than 1/2" of screw could penetrate the block. Not exactly a secure hold under the best of circumstances.

The net result is that the left side countertop is shredded below the top layer of laminate and the trim that the front left side of the stove is screwed into is shot and must be replaced as well.

A year ago, this would not have been such a big deal but our dealer (Chesapeake RV Solutions) closed their Baltimore location (that was an unpleasant surprise in itself to learn after the fact that they'd closed) so now we'll have to go to another dealer (2+ hrs away) to get the repairs done. Of course I'm very concerned about what additional damage may be done while traveling that distance.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Freedom

You're right, on the door side on our stove the screws went into the styrofoam! I thought that was really poor planning. I fixed ours a long time ago, so don't remember what I did on that side. The TM isn't set up right now, so I can't go and look. I'll try to remember when I set it up next time.