TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Mkilmurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dogs View Post
I got the same problem but you are lucky you have enough room on the side of your house.
I'd rather have a three car garage! We have a one car garage that is so tiny, I don't think the TM will fit. I measured and it was within an inch on all sides. Oh well, until I get the 'letter' it will just stay on the side of the house and my lawn mower will have a dry place to live.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

At least one of our members has a garage like yours, with about an inch on all sides, and manages to keep the TM inside. I've forgotten if there is a Power Mover involved, or a front bumper hitch, or just a whole lot more skill in backing a trailer than I will ever have. You can probably identify this member by using the Search tool on something like "garage". When "the letter" comes, at least you will have an option, even if it not an ideal one.

I, too, have an HOA that prohibits outside storage, although my neighbors across the street in a different development have a huge 5-er that stays out all the time. I live about 30 miles from Scottie Dogs, so I too have no basement, no attic, and a three car garage. As they said, at least one and often two of the garages end up being used for storage, and quite often a low garden shed in the back yard as well. Garage storage shelving is a big industry around here, and so are the storage yards where you rent an outside parking spot or a little cubbyhole on a month-to-month basis. Both are WILDLY expensive. So you deal with what you have, and few of us have an ideal answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
moaboy

Scottie D,

I know the area abit as my parents retired to Apache Junction in the early 80's. We too were from Illinois until I moved from Chicago to PA in 1989.
I enjoy AZ and was just out there in January. I sure miss those Chicago winters LOL.
My current house has a 3 bay garage and a full basement so I am spoiled and collect a lot of junk I don't need.
Although winter is milder here than Illinois, where my mother returned to, I still prefer AZ or Florida. I would easily trade some space for warmer winters-it is only a matter of time....
Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
camp2canoe

I may be the guilty party with the garage that my 2619 just barely cleared - my garage is small, has individual doors and my rather short driveway has both a hump and a curve. Even with 3 adults holding the TM and a trailer dolly we couldn't manuver the TM because of the hump. Even though I've had years of trailer backing experience, because of the curve I couldn't back in alone - even with a spotter it was dicey. My choices were either a power mover or a front hitch.

I chose the front hitch as the cheaper alternative and have since become an evangelist for them. You can see exactly where you are backing the TM and don't need a spotter. Sort of like driving a forklift, you have increased manuverability and can make very precise steering corrections. Backing into a wooded campsite after dark you have the truck's headlights illuminating the trees. It provides an extra towing point to help pull you (or someone else) out of mud or snow. Lastly, one unforeseen benefit is that it gives a great place to carry bicycles - it doesn't interfere with the rear hitch or tailgate and you can always see the bikes.

All that being said, when DW retired last November I bought her a '65 Mustang ragtop as a retirement present so the TM moved into indoor storage at $38.00 a month. This has actually worked pretty well save for the necessity of removing the battery after every use to keep it charged. - camp2canoe
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #25
Forrest K

Question Anti shell sagging

I'm really confused now. What keeps the 2 halfs from gradually sagging if you keep your tm open? Thought the torsion springs were relaxed in the up position. We have only used our 06 2720 7 times. My wife wondered why we can't keep it up all summer where we boat. I told her we would have to prop up both ends. Oops. Forrest K
Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilmurry View Post
I'd rather have a three car garage! We have a one car garage that is so tiny, I don't think the TM will fit. I measured and it was within an inch on all sides. Oh well, until I get the 'letter' it will just stay on the side of the house and my lawn mower will have a dry place to live.
I have pictures someplace of my setup: 1" or less on each side as I pull the TM in via winch, with rails on the ground. That part's actually the easy part, it's getting it up and around the driveway curve and aligned that is all the work. So much so, in fact, that I'm working on getting a Powermover to ease the process.

Search on my name, and you'll see the pics of the setup. It involved some TM modifications (removable awning, flatter exterior lights) but was well worth the effort, as I have "free" indoor parking, now. DW has suggested putting it in storage over the winter, but it's >$200/mo for covered storage where I live, and I'm not even certain that I can rent month-to-month vs. a year at a time. Just not worth it for me--the amount I've already saved has been well worth it.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote